5203 cold start proceedure

/ 5203 cold start proceedure #1  

DPic105

Tractor
JD 990
Does any one have a proceedure that they follow for cold starting a 5203? I had a 990 and it was very clear on how to start it in the cold. I can't locate anything in the 'operators book of words. I have a block heater, but it hasn't been that cold ...yet...

PS. Anyone interested in a GREAT machine, the 5203 would be it!

/ 5203 cold start proceedure #2  
I have little issue starting my 5203 in the cold without the block heater. I do nothing out of the ordinary. I turn the key on and leave it for about 10 seconds. Leave the throttle at idle, and start it. It issually will start on 2 cylenders for about 3-7 seconds, then I bump up the throttle to about 1100rpms and let it warm up a bit, then move it to 1400rpms for a bit. After the engine seems to be warming a bit, I use it gently until the engine and tranny have been warmed.

/ 5203 cold start proceedure #4  
nmu98, You don't activate your heaters ?

/ 5203 cold start proceedure #5  
i have a brand new 5203 and i have just been going by what the manual says. set the throttle to about 1/3 of the way, start the tractor, let it idle for a couple mins or so(i usually just sit there a min and then take off but only creeping while the tractor is still warming up). it hasnt gotten that cold here yet so i havent tried starting it it in cold weather. you rarely see tractors around here with block heaters anyways.

/ 5203 cold start proceedure #6  
nmu98, You don't activate your heaters ?

I have not, because I have seen no lights come on when I push the key in, or have I seen any difference in starting. I have never needed it.:confused:

/ 5203 cold start proceedure #7  
Does your 5203 have the cold weather kit? Easy way to find out is look at your air inlet tube and see if there is a heating (glow plug) installed. Here in Texas we only get a really cold snap once in about 5 - 10 years. And then I'm not going to use the tractor unless it's an emergency:) .

/ 5203 cold start proceedure
On the inlet tube, near the front of the engine is some type of plug with wires going to it (or from it) Is this what you are talking about?
DPIC

/ 5203 cold start proceedure #9  
Does any one have a proceedure that they follow for cold starting a 5203? I had a 990 and it was very clear on how to start it in the cold. I can't locate anything in the 'operators book of words. I have a block heater, but it hasn't been that cold ...yet...

PS. Anyone interested in a GREAT machine, the 5203 would be it!

Got one myself, and you are correct.