2210 Runs with key in start position only

/ 2210 Runs with key in start position only #1  

Acehardly

Bronze Member
Tractor
L & G 345, X595, 2305, 955 W/FEL
Hello, I have a friend that has an issue with his 2210. He can start it fine but when he lets the key go to the run position the engine shuts down. It will keep running if he keeps the key in the start position. What is weird is the starter doesn't make a noise like you hear in a car if you kept it in the start position. It sounds like the starter just disengages and turns off.
Let me know what you think it may be.

Thanks for your help in advance..
Tony

/ 2210 Runs with key in start position only #2  
Welcome to TBN:D

Is this really for your friend?;)

Anyway, I would suspect a bad ignition switch-especially if "his" machine is kept outside.

/ 2210 Runs with key in start position only
Thanks for the welcome. :)

lol, Yes it is for a friend. It is actually kept inside and they have only had this thing for 200 hours and he has had quite a few issues with it. He is dumbfounded as I with this issue. The only thing I could think of being a gas only owner :( is the key switch is bad too.
I will check it out and let you know...

Thanks...Tony
BTW, if I can ever get my wife to agree to a real diesel tractor I may actually be of some help here...

/ 2210 Runs with key in start position only #4  
I was just having fun:D

I just checked JDParts.com:

AM879479 SWITCH, START ADD 62.70 USD

is the part number and the price, it includes two keys also.

/ 2210 Runs with key in start position only #5  
200 hrs ?, awful short time for switch problems, but maybe, who knows.

I'd check that switch plug before ordering any parts.

How hard is it replace diagnose that switch? I am not familiar with the console of this tractor.
Thanks...Tony

/ 2210 Runs with key in start position only #7  
This is where a wiring diagram would come in real handy.

/ 2210 Runs with key in start position only #8  
Had a similar problem with my 755 once back in the summer. I had to remove some of the wiring harness to change the glow plugs and disconnected the shutdown solenoid. When I put everything back together the tractor would start up run for a couple seconds and then shutdown.

The shutdown solenoid has two important wires, one pulls the slug into the coil and the other holds it. The first one is connected to the starter solenoid to give the coil a little more kick to get the slug moving, the the second is connected to switched side of your ignition switch, kill the main switch and the slug is released and the engine shuts down.

The solenoid is located on the side of the injection pump (at least on my 755) and when you turn the key on it should do nothing, hit the starter and it will pull back. After you release the key it should continue to hold, if it releases you're close to finding the problem.

The next thing I'd do is use a battery charge or some other 12V power source and bench test the solenoid and see if it's latching or not. If the solenoid tests ok there is a relay on my 755 that controls all of this stuff, I would assume yours is similar, take a look here and see if you can see anything.

Hope that helps you a bit,

Jason

Looks like it may be more complicated than I thought. I will check it out and let you all know what happens.
Thanks for the tips.

Tony

/ 2210 Runs with key in start position only #10  
I saw the exact same problem on a 2305. It was simply a blown fuse. I do not know where the fuses are on a 2210, but on the 2305 they are under the hood on the "passenger" side against the rear wall. The fuse is 15A, and after replacing it...everything is back to normal.