3ph pin broken

/ 3ph pin broken #1  

wayupnth

Anyone seen this before? I was using a box blade with a JD 4520 and heard a snap. Didn't notice anything obvious but when I lifted the box blade I noticed it was hanging at an angle. It seems that the lynch pin holding the lower arm of the 3ph to the tractor chassis had fallen off. The hitch arm had slid to the end of the pin and when tension was put on the pin during box blading, the pin broke right where the hole is for the lynch pin. The pin is probably 3/4" or 7/8" in diameter but snapped right in half. Thank god this piece is removable on my tractor ($102 to replace...yikes) and not part of the cast pieces that surround this mounting pin. I had a tough time getting the old pin out but was successful and I am waiting for the replacement. I guess I need to figure out something better to secure the 3ph arms onto the tractor. Maybe a bolt or cable tying the lynch pin.

Gary

/ 3ph pin broken #2  
Those linch pins are handy to remove and install, but if you are running where there are lots of sticks or thick brush, they can get knocked off. If you usually don't remove te arms, a bolt with a lock nut or double nut jammed together might be a better solution for you. $102 is bad enough, but much better than replacing a casting.

/ 3ph pin broken #3  
The same pin came out on my 4320 while running the rotary cutter thru heavy/high brush but nothing broke (discovered it quickly). I replaced the lynch pin with small bolt and lock nut -- haven't had any trouble since.

/ 3ph pin broken #4  
Hey , all . you need a shorter lynch pin , the long one catches on the lift link when you lift the hitch all the way and causes it to break off at the hole. deere has a DETAC case on this issue.::) my two cents.