Ever Get The Feeling? "Service Dept Managers"

/ Ever Get The Feeling? "Service Dept Managers" #11  
If I'm not satisfied I usually let them know and I always go elsewhere next time. The way I figure it, they have wasted my time and money and I am obviously not what they are looking for in a customer. So here I am doing it all myself and that's probably fine by the dealer...... It's a win win. :)

/ Ever Get The Feeling? "Service Dept Managers" #12  
I do all PM work myself...
The service dept is why I bought a Deere and not an Orange one...

I wish I would have read this before I bought mine. I bought an orange one.

/ Ever Get The Feeling? "Service Dept Managers" #13  
JasonMac,
I think you and I are a lot alike. I don't mind paying top dollar for service or a product, but I had better get what I pay for. As far as the service manager blowing off the "little things", that's crap. If it doesn't work like it's supposed to, it needs to be fixed. Period.

My son is a tech at the local JD dealer, so that helps, but even before he started there, they were excellent to me! I was a service manager at a car dealership in northern Minnesota 20 years ago and yes, it was my job to sell service. The part the owner of the place hated is that I would never try to sell service the customer didn't need. You know what happens when you mess with something that isn't broke, suddenly we own that car and all it's problems.

Don't let the service manager decide what to look at and not to look at. That's a good way to lose MANY customers. You paid a lot for your machine and expect the best service, don't settle for less. Good luck.

Tom

/ Ever Get The Feeling? "Service Dept Managers" #14  
If you do it yourself,you will learn something about your tractor and maybe even yourself. You will save time,money and frustration with the dealer. As far as installing accessories, they are all really simple installs if you just follow the provided instuctions. A beacon light would take about 30 to 45 minutes to install and probably give you some satisfaction.

Sincerely, Dirt

beconlight.jpg

/ Ever Get The Feeling? "Service Dept Managers"
I love my dealer. Love my service managers. They will ignore me if I'm too picky and I get it, no hassle. I take care of some things myself, but let them know the problem was there so they appreciate. I send used equipment back with log of servicing so they don't spend money they don't have to getting it prepped for next buyer. They have a someone drop parts at my shed if I need them on way home from work as a favor. I wash and sometimes wax most every piece of iron I trade back to them and make sure it is in good shape for next guy. This is a two way relationship. If I want to be customer and be right I have to acknowledge that sometimes they are right too. I am a different sort I guess. I'm not too hard on them or ride them on every price difference when we trade. Dealers are "dealers" they like people who are easy to get along with and have the "no problem" attitude. Is usually reciprocated. "Easy does it" is motto I try to implement in my world. So when I do get an attitude and something is really out of whack it gets prompt attention, because it is dead SERIOUS. That is best thoughts I have on how I do business with my people.

That's my problem, I am the no problem easy going nice guy... but this is my third year of realizing these guys aren't trying to understand what I'm telling them to fix, or they don't understand that yes, I do my homework.... I know what other tractors parts are supposed to look like etc... but now my warranty is running out, and I want the things I've addressed to them in the past fixed as it should be fixed... and not just zip-tied or jury rigged.... or told I needed new cab filters (when I already have brand new filters) etc. etc...

And like I said, I'm not cheap... and I'm not picky picky.... But I do want to fix my glitches.... and stay up on my glitches.... and not be screwed with, with simple excuses, or made up stories... like my tractor is supposed to always shut off with the PTO Running.... There is no PTO Overide....... yes there is..... It's like I have to educate him... I'm just getting sick of it.... Want it fixed now the way it's supposed to be, I know everything I mentioned is minor... so It should be a minor job to correct....

I'm not a prick.... I am always willing to spend the money.... but I just feel as though... I need to toughen up a bit, and make sure I'm getting what I want for service when I need service... I'm not the type of guy to walk into a car dealership and try to screw him down for the very last penny.... When I see something I want... and it's fairly reasonable, I buy it... without trying to screw..... Fortunately for me, I've made my share of money, and I'm not a hoarder... or a tightwad... or a Nitpicker. If there is a reason why something can't be fixed be honest with me.... If he said... yeah your loader is definatly bent and he proved to me it is bent... well guess what.... that's the breaks.... I will live with a bent loader.. til I get sick of it and I'll buy a new tractor.... But don't tell me you fixed it when it clearly hasn't even addressed correctly by the service techs... and then charge me for it...

/ Ever Get The Feeling? "Service Dept Managers" #16  
Good service at dealers is hard to come by, dosen't matter Deere, Harley Davidison, Chevrolet, etc. I buy from where I would like to get service but service seems to be the back burner for many new dealers.

/ Ever Get The Feeling? "Service Dept Managers" #17  
The almighty dollar is a terrible thing to waste.
elad

/ Ever Get The Feeling? "Service Dept Managers" #18  
Good service at dealers is hard to come by, dosen't matter Deere, Harley Davidison, Chevrolet, etc. I buy from where I would like to get service but service seems to be the back burner for many new dealers.

As I understand it, dealers regardless of car, truck, tractor make most of their money from the service and parts departments, and not the Herb Tarlek's selling the car, truck or tractor.

If service is on the back burner, it sounds like the dealer is trying to self destruct.

/ Ever Get The Feeling? "Service Dept Managers" #19  
That's my problem, I am the no problem easy going nice guy... but this is my third year of realizing these guys aren't trying to understand what I'm telling them to fix, or they don't understand that yes, I do my homework.... I know what other tractors parts are supposed to look like etc... but now my warranty is running out, and I want the things I've addressed to them in the past fixed as it should be fixed... and not just zip-tied or jury rigged.... or told I needed new cab filters (when I already have brand new filters) etc. etc...

And like I said, I'm not cheap... and I'm not picky picky.... But I do want to fix my glitches.... and stay up on my glitches.... and not be screwed with, with simple excuses, or made up stories... like my tractor is supposed to always shut off with the PTO Running.... There is no PTO Overide....... yes there is..... It's like I have to educate him... I'm just getting sick of it.... Want it fixed now the way it's supposed to be, I know everything I mentioned is minor... so It should be a minor job to correct....

I'm not a prick.... I am always willing to spend the money.... but I just feel as though... I need to toughen up a bit, and make sure I'm getting what I want for service when I need service... I'm not the type of guy to walk into a car dealership and try to screw him down for the very last penny.... When I see something I want... and it's fairly reasonable, I buy it... without trying to screw..... Fortunately for me, I've made my share of money, and I'm not a hoarder... or a tightwad... or a Nitpicker. If there is a reason why something can't be fixed be honest with me.... If he said... yeah your loader is definatly bent and he proved to me it is bent... well guess what.... that's the breaks.... I will live with a bent loader.. til I get sick of it and I'll buy a new tractor.... But don't tell me you fixed it when it clearly hasn't even addressed correctly by the service techs... and then charge me for it...

Just saying my experience over here good - no judgement intended, hammered that out in hurry - didn't mean to rub it in or something. Sorry dude.

/ Ever Get The Feeling? "Service Dept Managers" #20  
Hey Jason,

I'm with you. Our machines are not cheap by any stretch, and are supposed to the 'the best' out there. We all paid a fair bit of green to get JD green and they should perform well, be all that we hoped for, and look good doing it.

I'm about 180 miles from the closest dealership, so I see myself doing a fair bit of maintenance on my own. Also, my machine is an '05 and is off warranty. I did call to ask about my fuel gauge that isn't right at all, and of course they'd heard nothing of an ongoing issue with this as many have mentioned here on TBN.

The accessory kits (vert exhaust, automotive style cruise, hydraulic top link) have been super easy and I'd lose sleep if I knew I paid someone else to do it. I've got some loftier goals in terms of accessories (lights, heated seat, electrohydraulic 3rd SCV to the loader for a grapple or 4 in 1 bucket, diverter valve to get joystick to run rear hydro lines, etc.) so we'll see how those go. My little brother and his Girlfriend are both Ag Engineers, so that should help.

I'm a little worried about big things (tranny, motor, hydraulics) failing me so far from a JD dealer, but I'm keeping my fingers cross that I'll become drinkin' buddies with a heavy duty mechanic here soon.

Don't feel bad at all for being a stickler on that stuff. You paid for the Deere name and reputation, and the dealers owe it to you, and the rest of us, to live up to it.

-J.