How To Put Cab / Flasher Lights ON Designated Switch

/ How To Put Cab / Flasher Lights ON Designated Switch #1  

nmu98

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5203, JD 3720, JD 4110, JD 445, IH 1586, IH 886, IH 404......
After there was so much interest in having the flashers work with the work lights, I decided to simplify my original wiring down to something anyone could do in 10 minutes. Here it is.

You can wire this in 3 ways.

#1 is simple, you simply jumper the orange and purple wires on the switch with a small piece of wire and 2 blade connectors that get sandwitched in between the connectos. This will have the emergency flashers on all the time any other lights are on, but the work lights will be on also.

#2 Is more workable. and simple for anyone. You put a diode inbetween the jumper to only allow the electrical flow from the hazards to the top work lights, and not back to the hazards when you just want the work lights on. So position 1 would have work lights and hazards. #2 would have hazards, front lights, and work lights.

#3 You need to wire a switch in between the jumper to open and close the jumper. This will also need the diode to work well. You would then be able to turn on the work lights in any position of the switch that the hazards would be on.

I am going to wire ming up differently and I do not have the parts needed, so i do not show each situation. I plan to put power to a switch, and jumper it to the purle wire to be able to turn on and off the worklights at anytime I would like.

Attachments

• IMG_0984.JPG
    IMG_0984.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_0985.JPG
    IMG_0985.JPG
    214.7 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_0986.JPG
    IMG_0986.JPG
    179.9 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_0987.JPG
    IMG_0987.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_0992.JPG
    IMG_0992.JPG
    289.8 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_0991.JPG
    IMG_0991.JPG
    159.7 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_0989.JPG
    IMG_0989.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_0988.JPG
    IMG_0988.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 188
   / How To Put Cab / Flasher Lights ON Designated Switch
On the Cab model, its on 4 screws to get the dash up. The switch is easily accessed and the connector pulls of easly. You need to pick on of the ways described above and jumper the purple wire (work lights) and the orange wire (hazards). If pulling power from another source, just attach to the purple wire. The diodes pictured will work well, and are cheap. You only need one.

Attachments

• IMG_0991.JPG
    IMG_0991.JPG
    159.7 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_0992.JPG
    IMG_0992.JPG
    289.8 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0993.JPG
    IMG_0993.JPG
    286.9 KB · Views: 164
   / How To Put Cab / Flasher Lights ON Designated Switch #3  
How are you connecting the jumper to the spade connectors in the plug ?

I used flat or blade connectors and slid them in there. They were pretty tight. You could also splice it in if you wanted.

/ How To Put Cab / Flasher Lights ON Designated Switch #5  
Thanks for taking the time to figure it out. It's much appreciated!:):):) I'm going to give it a shot once I get the diode.

/ How To Put Cab / Flasher Lights ON Designated Switch #6  
See..... I consider somebody like you a Genius! Never in my life would have I ever figured something like this out.... and it was so simple for you to figure out.... not me...

So I understand from your photos how to jump now between the purple in the orange by sandwiching in a wire...

I didn't get the part of what to do with the Diodes? For turning your work lights on and off whenever you want... I don't mind if my flashers are always on when the switch is in any of the On/Positions... but it would be cool to be able to turn off your work lights too...

So jumping the wire: I understand for the WorkLights / and Flashers Together / Always On if Switch is On.

But The Diodes is over my head still...

And Again... thank you.. thank you.... thank you for figuring this out for us... This has been a 3 Year Peeve for Me!!!!!

See..... I consider somebody like you a Genius! Never in my life would have I ever figured something like this out.... and it was so simple for you to figure out.... not me...

So I understand from your photos how to jump now between the purple in the orange by sandwiching in a wire...

I didn't get the part of what to do with the Diodes? For turning your work lights on and off whenever you want... I don't mind if my flashers are always on when the switch is in any of the On/Positions... but it would be cool to be able to turn off your work lights too...

So jumping the wire: I understand for the WorkLights / and Flashers Together / Always On if Switch is On.

But The Diodes is over my head still...

And Again... thank you.. thank you.... thank you for figuring this out for us... This has been a 3 Year Peeve for Me!!!!!

Sorry for not being more clear. i am/was wrting thins fast since the kids and work....

The diode: The diode works by only allowing electricity one way through a wire. With the diode installed in the wire bridging the switch, you would have work lights on whenever the flasher was on, but not flashers on when you turn the switch to position 3 (headlights and worklights).

In order to switch the worklights in the above situation, you would need to install the diode, just as in above, and put a switch in allowing you to open or close the circut to the worklights. Very simple if you mounted that switch close.

I can make a wire up and show you if needed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is another situation I am working through with another member. I think we will remove the hazard lights from the switch and install another switch to run the hazard lights so they can be turned on whenever you want, with whatever other lights you want. We would then insert the Purple wire into the slot that the orange wire was in the switch. That would make the switch dot he following:

1. off
2. Work lights only
3. work lights and headlights
4. headlights only

We could also work it to have different combos... but...

That way you could choose your lighting, and flip another separate switch for hazards.

/ How To Put Cab / Flasher Lights ON Designated Switch #8  
This would be my preferred combo:

As you suggested:

1. off
2. Work lights only
4. headlights only

Then have a separate switch for the (Flasher/Hazzards)...

That would by far be the most logical way to have the switch organized, providing it's easy enough to do....

Thanks Again...

Jason

This would be my preferred combo:

As you suggested:

1. off
2. Work lights only
4. headlights only

Then have a separate switch for the (Flasher/Hazzards)...

That would by far be the most logical way to have the switch organized, providing it's easy enough to do....

Thanks Again...

Jason

I will have a how to on that posted by the end of this weekend. I have it planned out and it should be very, very simple.

/ How To Put Cab / Flasher Lights ON Designated Switch #10  
If there is enough interest in this, I can work with some suppliers I've tracked down to get an OEM switch to match the rest of the dash & console switches... Only Problem is I would have to meet some minimum order quantity, etc..
The sky is the limit...what I was thinking would be a black switch with the Hazard triangle printed on it with a red LED indicator light built into it.