Oil & Fuel Breaking oil in new 2320?

/ Breaking oil in new 2320? #11  
My 2720 manual says to change the oil at 50 hours and "Do not use break-in oils". Amsoil and Mobil say break-in oils aren't needed, at least for new cars. Don't know if a diesel tractor would be any different. I will use Amsoil at the 50 hour change

wes

/ Breaking oil in new 2320? #12  
Then, when you look at the sticker in the engine compartment, it tells you to change the oil at 50 hours.

Correct nmu98..
servicesticker.jpg

Or if you look at the JD Website...
https://jdparts.deere.com/partsmkt/document/english/pmac/7571_wc_Oil_and_Filters.htm

So between both JD Sources and the fact my dealer also reccomended it, BreakIn oil it was...

/ Breaking oil in new 2320? #13  
So, I decided to ask the local dealer what they recommend, and I got back to change it to regular 15/40 after the first year, regardless of hours. I asked if that meant break in oil or not, and the answer was no, just use regular oil. So, 3 different sources, 3 different answers. Lovely. :confused:

/ Breaking oil in new 2320? #14  
My factory JD Shop Manual for my 2320 says nothing about break-in oil except for re-manufactured engines. It says to use break-in oil for the re-manned for a short time. I don't have it in front of me, so I can't remember how long. If memory serves me right, it was about five hours. Since it does mention break-in oil for re-manned engines, I assumed it would also for the OEM engine if it were required. Since nothing was said, I don't use it.

I did my first oil change at 25 hrs. Used JD 15W-?? (the stuff JD dealers stock). They don't have JD 5W-30 at any local dealers. I did my second at 50 hours when I did the complete service.

I've always changed the first oil at 1/2 what the manufacturer said, then changed again at what the manufacturer said. I then just follow manufacturer's suggestion. NEVER used break-in oil. This is for ALL engines. I've never had a bad engine (from oil issues), and every car I've owned has had over 200k miles. I just sold one with 275k miles and it didn't burn a drop of oil between the 6k mile oil change intervals. I also have some Toro equipment (snow removal equipment) from the 70's that I did the same change intervals when new. All of them are on their original engines, and nothing burns oil.

I'm not saying this is best, but it has worked for me and I will continue.

One caveat - all of the engines I talked about above have been gasoline. This 2320 is the first "new" deisel engine I have ever purchased.

/ Breaking oil in new 2320? #15  
Well, fwiw, I talked to another JD dealer and according to them Deere specifically recommends break-in oil until 100 hours. So, if you do a 50 hour change, you should put back in break-in oil until the 100 hour mark. In any case, I think the only constant here is that everywhere has a different story, so who knows. :confused:

/ Breaking oil in new 2320? #16  
Here is what I did with my JD 4110, changed engine oil @ 25 hrs. went with Mobil Delvac 15w/40 - Changed engine oil again @ 50 hrs. also changed transmission and front axle oils at same time. Now I change engine oil every 50 hrs. or once a year - which ever comes first. Currently have 280 hrs. on tractor. My theory is to get the dirt and grime out of the engine. I may go with Delvac 1 a synthetic oil, when my current oil supply is used up. All of my new vehicles get an oil change over to Mobil 1 at 3000 miles or sooner. Then the rest of the oil changes at 6000 miles. Never had a problem. So my plan are to get that dirty oil out of my engine, and I don't refill with breakin oil as it is a lesser grade oil. I would not want to buy a used tractor that had the same break in oil in the engine over 50 hrs. 50 hrs. for break in is to long in my book.

/ Breaking oil in new 2320? #17  
Run break in oil 50 hours minimum. Good enough for little tractor I suppose unless that is 50 hours of mostly idling and not working. The big ones (8030 series/9030 series) you run 100 hours if loaded up good during that time, like chiseling/plowing etc. However since my 8330 only ran auger wagon this fall, I ran a second round of break-in oil through it for another hundred hours. I run Mobile Delvac 1300 Super in all my equipment and semis. It is specifically made for heavy-duty diesel motors. I run it in my pickups and change oil every 6000 instead, Semis every 10000 to 11000, tractors 250-300 hours (run 50 hour window of convenience - next rainout!). In my opinion people change oil WAY too often in tractors, unless you are using oil that does not meet or exceed specification.

Don't compare diesel motors to your cars guys, two different animals. Diesels have better top end lubrication because of the lubricating quality of diesel itself. Oil needs slightly different too - diesel requires better detergent action from the oil - ability to hold soot as diesel does not burn as clean. Those are a couple things I remember from college..... rest drowned in beer.... :D

/ Breaking oil in new 2320? #18  
This is frustrating. I have a 3720 with only about 25 hours on it and I was just about decided to change oil to Red Line Diesel 15W-40 at 50 hours, but now I am conflicted again.

My 3720 has the infamous underhood "first 50 hours" sticker and my owner's manual recommendation is for 200 hours for the first oil and filter change--no mention of breakin oil anywhere. Then there's the official party line at the JD webpage referenced by Spudland Dave with the 100-hour rec and "do not mix breakin oil with regular engine oil" and a hint of a possibility of needing to go to 200 hours with breakin oil. Then, anecdotally, some guys get good results if they do the first change at 13 hours, 25 hours, etc., etc. I am new to JD and tractors, pretty much, and I cannot believe the amount of contradictory info there is on this subject.

So what exactly is breakin oil, anyway? Is it dino oil only, never synthetic, lightweight or heavy, high or low in additives, detergency, etc, or what? What if my Deere dealer is 150 miles away (he is) and I can't stop by to get some of this snake, I mean breakin, oil? What oil would I look for in order to simulate breakin oil if I needed to add some before the first oil change (at 50, 100, 200, or fill in the blank hours!!!) because of usage, maybe? Would it magically not mix properly with the JD oil or is that bull? Finally, does any of this matter. Jrutherford is probably right--we are all way too compulsive about this and overkill is the order of the day.

I still think I am going with a new filter and the Red Line at 50 hours. Thanks for letting me vent. I feel better.

/ Breaking oil in new 2320? #20  
I would go with the JD 0W40 synthetic AFTER 100 hours but use the break-in oil for the first 50 hours. From 50 to 100 hours just use the JD 15W40 that's rated for your tractor. The break-in is important in the beginning.
JD synthetic is a great oil but not until you have everything seated at the 100 hour mark. I use it for most everything and buy in 5 gallon pails for $90.
Regular Mobil One "diesel turbo truck" would be rated for your tractor but probably not the regualr Mobil one. Look in the owner's manual.
JD 0W40 starts great in Northern ME (inside) but a KAATS brand stick-on block heater makes things a little better. Better to wait until it warms up to zero or so.

Last edited: