Oil & Fuel Breaking oil in new 2320?

/ Breaking oil in new 2320? #1  

Dale1995

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 2320
I just visited my local John Deere dealer, and wanted to buy a quart of oil for my 2320, After checking the level I found that it was down a little bit. It probably was never quite full when I took delivery. I only have 17 hours on it. So when I told the salesman I needed a quart of 5w-30 for my tractor he told me that I could not put this in my tractor yet. He told me that I had to have some "breaking oil". I told him that would be fine and to get me a quart, he told me that they don't sell this oil. They buy it by a 55 gallon drum. Anyway he found a container and gave me a quart of it for free. He also told me not to change my engine oil till I had at least 50 hours on it. He also told me that these tractors can go down on oil during the break-in process. He mentioned that the big ag tractors can go down as much as 4 quarts in an 8 hour day and that is acceptable. Has anyone else come across this situation or is this guy giving me a crock of bull. I know all about diesel's I was a diesel mechanic for many years. I realize the rings are needing time to seat and wear together. Also have any of you gone to synthetic oils after the break-in process. It gets cold up here in Northern Maine. I have seen -40 below many times. I was looking at Mobile 1 or amsoil products. I run mobile 1 in my truck and car. I would be interested in knowing what your thoughts are about this.....Thanks for all your opinions. Also do any of you use a scraper blade on your tractor during the winter time, to help with snow removal....I am wondering what size blade I should purchase for this 2320, and who builds the best blade for the best price.:confused:

/ Breaking oil in new 2320? #2  
Heck; I changed out the original oil at 13 hours. Figured that was about equivalent to the 500 miles that they used to say to keep it in.

Fine at 350 hours. Doesn't use any or have any blue smoke. Changed at 13, approx. 113, approx. 213, and about 320.

Ralph

/ Breaking oil in new 2320? #3  
"Break in oil" for the first 50 hours. That is correct. Maybe someone else can answer the rest of your questions.

Ralph, how about saving your used oil for me. I'll run it for another hundred hours or maybe fry another turkey! What oil are you using?

Sincerely, Dirt

/ Breaking oil in new 2320? #4  
My dealer sells break in oil, and recomends it be run for 50 hours, changed, then run another 50 on break in oil... Im not sold on that... But...

/ Breaking oil in new 2320? #6  
what is "break in oil" just heavier weight or lower weight? My new 4720 deere engine came with whatever deere recommends and my first change is at 100hrs.

/ Breaking oil in new 2320? #7  
Hello Fellow "County" member!
Yes, my dealer (and momma Deere) reccomends running their break-in oil till 100 hours. I did an oil change at 50 hours and refilled it with the break in oil. At 100 hours I plan on switching to the Deere Synthetic 0w40

/ Breaking oil in new 2320? #8  
My dealer in southern MN also recommends refilling after the 50 hours initial, with more breakin oil. I would put off using synthetic till about 400-500 hours.

/ Breaking oil in new 2320? #9  
What do your manuals say though? I have a 2007 3520, and am looking at it right now and it recommends first oil change at 200 hours. At 50 hours, it is just a check of the front axle oil level, etc.

I only have 44 hours on mine and I haven't used a drop, but my plan will be just checking it every 10 hours or so until the 200 hour mark and then changing.

Regards,
-Jeff

/ Breaking oil in new 2320? #10  
What do your manuals say though? I have a 2007 3520, and am looking at it right now and it recommends first oil change at 200 hours. At 50 hours, it is just a check of the front axle oil level, etc.

I only have 44 hours on mine and I haven't used a drop, but my plan will be just checking it every 10 hours or so until the 200 hour mark and then changing.

Regards,
-Jeff

Then, when you look at the sticker in the engine compartment, it tells you to change the oil at 50 hours.