790 Owner....New Kid on the block

/ 790 Owner....New Kid on the block #21  
Congrats on your purchase. I think you will love it. I have put an additional 100 hours on mine since I purchased it and haven't had any trouble. I just ordered a block heater for it today and it should be in next week. I think my battery is getting a little weak so I have had to charge the battery the last week to use it. The temperatures in Iowa have been below zero for a while.

As far doing any tillage I wouldn't be afraid of plowing with your 790. I posted last year about pulling a 3 pt. 3 x 14 with no problem in 1 1/2 acres of sweet corn patch and garden. Although you are talking about tearing up sod so a 2 bottom may work better. My father found an 8 ft 3 pt disk that I am looking forward to trying out this spring to smooth out where I plowed. I am also going to rent a small no-till drill from the DNR so I can interseed some alfalfa in my hay field this spring.

Good luck

/ 790 Owner....New Kid on the block
Hey Russ....it makes my heart soar to hear you pulled a 3 bottom plow with your 790...:D ...probably wont be doing that...but good to know non the less.

I did my block heater a few weeks ago.....the plug comes out with a 1/2" drive extension and a breaker bar.....no big deal. But tightening up the new heater plug was a bit of a challenge as I did not have a wrench or socket that big....it must be about 1 1/2" size. So.....I had to work a super size adjustable wrench that didnt want to fit between all the hydraulic pump plumbing and such (after snugging up the heater plug with smaller wrenches on a provided flat...just go easy on the small flat...I think it was just brass). They dont make it easy....but you can do it. Better advice....find a big wrench or socket to fit before you start.

/ 790 Owner....New Kid on the block #23  
Glad to see another satisfied 790 owner. I'm extremely happy with mine, have put about 80 hours on it (it only had 83 on it when I bought it in April). I bought a cheapo green Farm and Fleet tool box and mounted it to the right fender in the holes in the fender that I assume are there for a matching mounting handle to the left fender. I put some rubber strips under it to keep it from scarring up the paint on the fender. I just wish I could find a step for the right side, sometimes I have to park up against the left wall of the garage and I usually end up dumping the bucket getting off cause there's no step.

Mine is the 27 hp low exhaust version with a 300 loader. I shimmed the hydraulics, put rimguard in the rear tires and the lifting capacity and rear ballast seems pretty well matched, could always use more lifting capacity though.

Having fun?????? pushing snow so far, I'm probably going to buy a 6' rear blade and have it offset to catch everything on one side and push to the other. I think a 7' would do more what I want but I'm worried that going that big would push the tractor around too much.

You'll be amazed how much dirt you can move with the BB! I redid my front yard in the spring and hit it with the tiller then the BB to move the dirt and I'd have dirt piled up over top of the box and clear up under the tractor with the rear tires picking up dirt in the pile and throwing it all over place. I usually did this in 5th or 6th gear (so I'd have a decent reverse, low range reverse is WAY too slow), it would only drag down when I'd run into the pile and not get the blade up fast enough. Yours should do even better with the extra 3 horsies!

Good luck and happy tractoring!