790 Owner....New Kid on the block

/ 790 Owner....New Kid on the block #1  

foggy1111

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L 3560 HSTC, 805 Loader
Hi ...just wanted to introduce myself and thank you for the amount of information I learned before joining the forum.

I have 100+ mostly wooded acres to maintain and will likely put in about 5 acres of food plots and maintain about 1 mile or more of trails with my new (to me) tractor (mostly clover on the trails). I hope this little Johnny is up to the task.:rolleyes:

I just purchased a used JD 790 with a 70 FEL (hope this loader works out O.K.) and I am in the process of adding a 5' box blade, MX 5 cutter and want to buy a disc harrow before spring.....along with a few other neccessites. :D The tractor is in very nice shape with only about 300 hours on the clock. R1 Tires...but came with a set of turf tires for the front too....so I can use it a bit in the yard.

I likely have about 200 stumps to get out of my trails (old forestry land)...but plan to rent a vermeer stump grinder for most of that work.

From what I gleaned from the posts.....I purchased a markham 5 tooth bar for the bucket and a HF 3 point quick hitch (27.5" and adaptor ....but they are on backorder till late Jan :mad:) I plan to add fluid to the rears and find a place for a tool box somewhere on this machine (suggestions?).

Anyway......busily adding my attachments and doing some mods over the long Minnesota winter and trying to get everything ship shape for a serious workout come spring.

Thanks again for the information I gleaned from reading over 100 pages of posts and micl. information.

/ 790 Owner....New Kid on the block #2  
Foggy,

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the site!

Looking forward to some pics of your machine and project.

Best of luck.

/ 790 Owner....New Kid on the block #3  
Welcome to TBN:D

but came with a set of turf tires for the front too....so I can use it a bit in the yard.

Be real careful here, if you mis-match tires you can do a lot of damage to your front axle while in 4WD (MFWD) Did your machine come with a manual?

/ 790 Owner....New Kid on the block #5  
Here is where I mounted my toolbox on my 790. Not sure it it will work with the 70 loader.

It's a great tractor although that's a lot of acres. Will handle 5' BB just fine. I assume it is 4WD?

Attachments

• IMG_0428_small.JPG
    IMG_0428_small.JPG
    384 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_0432_small.JPG
    IMG_0432_small.JPG
    394.9 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_0429.jpg
    IMG_0429.jpg
    728.4 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_0585_small.JPG
    IMG_0585_small.JPG
    542.6 KB · Views: 235
   / 790 Owner....New Kid on the block #6  
Hi foggy, and welcome to TBN from another 790/70 owner. You have a lot of ground to cover for a 790 but it should be up to the task. Your implements are well sized for the tractor. Enjoy, and come back often with questions and your own stories to share!

/ 790 Owner....New Kid on the block
Thanks for the welcome and for the tire / front axel advice. To answer a few questions, yes I did get a manual;). I did wonder a bit about the extra set of front tires when I bought it....so I had the dealer put the original ag tires back on and will save the turf tires for very occasional use on grass - and only use them in two wheel drive. They are the same diameter as the ag tires....but I agree with the thoughts on this issue. I also wonder about reversing the front tires to get a little wider stance (maybe 2" on each side). Any issues with this?

I will check out the tool box mount shown for my 790...thanks. This tractor came without a front grill gaurd :( so, if I cannot find one, I will need to fab one up over the winter). Anybody got a spare? :D or know of a good aftermarket guard??? I really would like to have a grill guard as the grill already shows a little branch rash from the prior owner.

/ 790 Owner....New Kid on the block #8  
This tractor came without a front grill gaurd :( so, if I cannot find one, I will need to fab one up over the winter). Anybody got a spare? :D or know of a good aftermarket guard??? I really would like to have a grill guard as the grill already shows a little branch rash from the prior owner.

The 70 loader doesn't really have that much of a grille guard. Only the "U" shaped metal that holds the front of the loader mount to the tractor, and a thin "Upside-down U" above that running above the grille/hood. Is that what you have?

/ 790 Owner....New Kid on the block
Their is NO grille guard on my tractor. Nodda. I see a few places to mount one on the loader frame....but would rather mount one on the holes whire are located below the grille.....as then the guard would stay with on the tractor when the loader is removed. I have been searching for a good photo of the 790/70 grille guard as I likely will need to fab something up for the guard...and don't want to get my battery enclosed forever. ;)

Earlier Question....yes it is a four wheel drive. I will try to get a few pics for reference. (for my own use too....as it gets hard to remember where holes are located and such)

/ 790 Owner....New Kid on the block #10  
I also wonder about reversing the front tires to get a little wider stance (maybe 2" on each side). Any issues with this?

I had my fronts reversed for a while but it didn't seem to do anything for stability (the axle can pivot pretty far before it hits the stops) so I put them back. I suspect it increases the strain on the front axle and it didn't seem to help. Loading the rear tires made a major difference both in stability and in traction.