How do I set up a hyd. top link?

/ How do I set up a hyd. top link? #1  

dieselram

Gold Member
Tractor
2007 John Deere 3120 TLBM
I have a rear remote kit coming for my 4300 and I want to have the top of a top and tilt, or a hyd. cylinder for a top link. Anyone done it on a Deere? What do I need and where do I get it?

/ How do I set up a hyd. top link? #2  
Unless there's a stock Deere kit you'd rather install I'd talk to CCM, you'll need the toplink and appropriate hoses/connectors. CCM's toplinks are nicer than the Deere ones because they've got a check valve to prevent leakage. For a list of things I needed you can see this thread. I had to install my own valve, but you can ignore that part unless you need the "tilt" function of hydraulic sidelinks.

/ How do I set up a hyd. top link? #4  
Look thru this thread and all the pictures posted by Mech. I bought the same valve as he with expectation of adding tilt and a grapple. At the moment I just have the "Top".

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/john-deere-owning-operating/114285-power-beyond-kit-790-a.html

I too have the CCM center link cylinder with the check valve. To be honest, it's kind of annoying in a couple of ways:
1. You can't "de-pressurize" is with then engine off, like I do for the loader and 3pt lift.
2. Because of #1 it's difficult to get the weight off of it to remove the pin for attachments that don't have a link in them.

But, if keeping it at a certain setting (which would be really good for tilt) if a priority, it does the job. It doesn't appear to leak down even after an extended amount of time (weeks).

It's a really convenient thing to have. On the fly BB adjustment. Lifting the rotary cutter at a high angle for going up/down terraces or thru ditches. I love it!

/ How do I set up a hyd. top link? #5  
Search the terms "CCM", "HTL", and "toplink" for hours of reading on this very subject:D

/ How do I set up a hyd. top link? #6  
Look thru this thread and all the pictures posted by Mech. I bought the same valve as he with expectation of adding tilt and a grapple. At the moment I just have the "Top".

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/john-deere-owning-operating/114285-power-beyond-kit-790-a.html

I too have the CCM center link cylinder with the check valve. To be honest, it's kind of annoying in a couple of ways:
1. You can't "de-pressurize" is with then engine off, like I do for the loader and 3pt lift.
2. Because of #1 it's difficult to get the weight off of it to remove the pin for attachments that don't have a link in them.

But, if keeping it at a certain setting (which would be really good for tilt) if a priority, it does the job. It doesn't appear to leak down even after an extended amount of time (weeks).

It's a really convenient thing to have. On the fly BB adjustment. Lifting the rotary cutter at a high angle for going up/down terraces or thru ditches. I love it!

Why try to de-pressurize or want the top link de-pressurized?? I and others in my neighborhood that have hydraulic top links, set the parking brake when we are disconnecting and connecting an implement and either raise and lower the lift arms and feather the top link with the control or position levers to make connecting or disconnecting an implement very easy.

/ How do I set up a hyd. top link?
So I just need the cylinder from CCM, a couple of hoses and some fittings? Can you get the adapters to fit the JD remote (male) at TSC?

/ How do I set up a hyd. top link?
Oh yeah, where do you get that fancy "sleeving" stuff that JD and everyone else uses to protect the hoses?

/ How do I set up a hyd. top link? #9  
So I just need the cylinder from CCM, a couple of hoses and some fittings? Can you get the adapters to fit the JD remote (male) at TSC?

If you email Mark Carter at CCM, and tell him what you need (your tractor model, length of TL you want, etc.) and he'll trade you around $220 USD for a great TL with quick-adapters and hoses. Once you get it it'll take you maybe 15 minutes to have it on and running, and I'm sure you'll like it.

Choosing your length of TL is really important too. I have several posts on here regarding this, if you search under my username you'll find them. I went with the 18" to 26.5" and I'm still not sure I made the right choice. Definitely do not go any longer than I did (I'm assuming your manual factory TL is the same as mine was, 19.5" to 30").

I'm not sure if there is a choice of color or not, but specify that too. I ended up with a blue one!!!

-Jer.

/ How do I set up a hyd. top link? #10  
I bought and installed my CCM top link over a year ago and like it a lot. The only problem I have is finding an effective way to "store" the cylinder when not in use. My original top link just used bar stock bent to catch part of the toplink. I have it jury rigged to fit the CCM but it is not satisfactory to me. What have you guys used?