Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,116
    Location
    Michigan
    Tractor
    Deere 3720 Cab eHydro , JD 455AWS, JD X749AWS, JD 2720, 2015 Toolcat, Bobcat E42 Excavator, BRP Maverick Max, JD 2032R

    Default 47" Snowblower Chute Rotation Mod -Revisited

    Another member came up with a way to get more rotation out of the snowblower chute; it was posted in this thread. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/j...47%22+rotation
    I performed the same mod with a slight change - instead of wrapping the cables around the bushing of the pulleys as suggested, I made up new cables (58" long) so I could wrap them in the "V" of the pulley instead thus lessening the wear and tear. Normally in the stock set-up you would take all the slack out of the cables to get the maximum rotation but since there is so much more rotation in this set-up I left a little slack to cut down on the cable wear also. Be careful not to leave so much slack that the cables fall off the pulleys.
    One other thing to mention; I drilled the new holes 1 1/2" off the centerline of the slide anchor bolt but 1 1/4" would work better.

    Thanks to the fellow that came up with this idea in the first place.

    As per the "official TBN Policy" here are the pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 47" Snowblower Chute Rotation Mod -Revisited-dsc_0023-large-jpg   47" Snowblower Chute Rotation Mod -Revisited-dsc_0024-large-jpg   47" Snowblower Chute Rotation Mod -Revisited-dsc_0025-large-jpg   47" Snowblower Chute Rotation Mod -Revisited-dsc_0029-large-jpg   47" Snowblower Chute Rotation Mod -Revisited-dsc_0032-large-jpg  

    47" Snowblower Chute Rotation Mod -Revisited-dsc_0033-large-jpg   47" Snowblower Chute Rotation Mod -Revisited-dsc_0034-large-jpg  
    Last edited by turbo36; 12-06-2008 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Added pictures of the chute deflector cable system

  2. #2
    Elite Member Tig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,557
    Location
    The County, Ontario, Canada
    Tractor
    Kubota, B7100HST-D

    Default Re: 47" Snowblower Chute Rotation Mod -Revisited

    Nice set up.
    Steve

    The best things in life are not things.

  3. #3
    Platinum Member chevy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    624
    Location
    East Central, Indiana
    Tractor
    John Deere 4120 John Deere 1026R

    Default Re: 47" Snowblower Chute Rotation Mod -Revisited

    Thanks for sharing the information.
    Is the chute deflector cable system a John Deere option?
    John Deere 2025R, H130 Loader, 62D Mower Deck, John Deere 655 Tiller, Front Grader Blade, Frontier LR2072 Landscape Rake, Frontier Pallet Forks, Woods GB60 Box Blade
    John Deere 825i Gator


    John Deere Tractors I have owned in the past.
    425 AWS, 455, 4400, 2210, 4710, 2320, 2720, 1026R, 4120

  4. #4
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,116
    Location
    Michigan
    Tractor
    Deere 3720 Cab eHydro , JD 455AWS, JD X749AWS, JD 2720, 2015 Toolcat, Bobcat E42 Excavator, BRP Maverick Max, JD 2032R

    Default Re: 47" Snowblower Chute Rotation Mod -Revisited

    Quote Originally Posted by chevy View Post
    Thanks for sharing the information.
    Is the chute deflector cable system a John Deere option?
    Yes, I believe the number for the main kit is M147506 but the dealer also has to order additional parts for each specific model.

  5. #5
    Silver Member Dale1995's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    163
    Location
    Caribou,Maine
    Tractor
    John Deere 2320

    Default Re: 47" Snowblower Chute Rotation Mod -Revisited

    Quote Originally Posted by turbo36 View Post
    Another member came up with a way to get more rotation out of the snowblower chute; it was posted in this thread. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/j...47%22+rotation
    I performed the same mod with a slight change - instead of wrapping the cables around the bushing of the pulleys as suggested, I made up new cables (58" long) so I could wrap them in the "V" of the pulley instead thus lessening the wear and tear. Normally in the stock set-up you would take all the slack out of the cables to get the maximum rotation but since there is so much more rotation in this set-up I left a little slack to cut down on the cable wear also. Be careful not to leave so much slack that the cables fall off the pulleys.
    One other thing to mention; I drilled the new holes 1 1/2" off the centerline of the slide anchor bolt but 1 1/4" would work better.

    Thanks to the fellow that came up with this idea in the first place.

    As per the "official TBN Policy" here are the pictures.
    I love the extra rotation you have on your blower chute, you said that you made up some longer cables , I believe that the original cables have a solid ball on one end of the cable, did you order some cables somewhere ? How did you deal with this? Also you said that you drilled a new hole off the centerline of the slide anchor bolt? Can you elaborate on this, I want to do this to my blower but want to have everything ready when I start. what diameter is the cable? thanks for any information you can help me with

  6. #6
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,116
    Location
    Michigan
    Tractor
    Deere 3720 Cab eHydro , JD 455AWS, JD X749AWS, JD 2720, 2015 Toolcat, Bobcat E42 Excavator, BRP Maverick Max, JD 2032R

    Default Re: 47" Snowblower Chute Rotation Mod -Revisited

    Quote Originally Posted by Dale1995 View Post
    I love the extra rotation you have on your blower chute, you said that you made up some longer cables , I believe that the original cables have a solid ball on one end of the cable, did you order some cables somewhere ? How did you deal with this? Also you said that you drilled a new hole off the centerline of the slide anchor bolt? Can you elaborate on this, I want to do this to my blower but want to have everything ready when I start. what diameter is the cable? thanks for any information you can help me with
    Here are some pictures to show the location of the drilled holes. I drilled 3/16" diameter holes and chamfered them with a 60 degree tool to lessen the stress.

    The cable is 1/8" diameter - same as stock - My dealer handed me a big coil of cable along with some compression stops and compression tool and said "bring back what you don't use". (Time to put in a shameless plug for Jim and Jayson at "Four Seasons Lawn and Sport" --- John Deere are you listening????).
    I would think that any old time hardware store would have the same on hand and could make the cables up for you. What was nice about having the extra fittings and compression tool was I could crimp the ends next to the chute and prevent fraying.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 47" Snowblower Chute Rotation Mod -Revisited-dsc_0001a-large-jpg   47" Snowblower Chute Rotation Mod -Revisited-dsc_0002a-large-jpg   47" Snowblower Chute Rotation Mod -Revisited-dsc_0003a-large-jpg   47" Snowblower Chute Rotation Mod -Revisited-dsc_0004a-large-jpg  

  7. #7
    Silver Member Dale1995's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    163
    Location
    Caribou,Maine
    Tractor
    John Deere 2320

    Default Re: 47" Snowblower Chute Rotation Mod -Revisited

    Quote Originally Posted by turbo36 View Post
    Here are some pictures to show the location of the drilled holes. I drilled 3/16" diameter holes and chamfered them with a 60 degree tool to lessen the stress.

    The cable is 1/8" diameter - same as stock - My dealer handed me a big coil of cable along with some compression stops and compression tool and said "bring back what you don't use". (Time to put in a shameless plug for Jim and Jayson at "Four Seasons Lawn and Sport" --- John Deere are you listening????).
    I would think that any old time hardware store would have the same on hand and could make the cables up for you. What was nice about having the extra fittings and compression tool was I could crimp the ends next to the chute and prevent fraying.
    thanks for the great pictures and all the information, I will have to do a search on the internet to find a compression tool and some ends, do you think this is some special type of cable..like stainless steel or what should I be looking for?

  8. #8
    Advertiser kennyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    12,671
    Location
    Westminster, MD
    Tractor
    John Deere 4110, 455AWS

    Default Re: 47" Snowblower Chute Rotation Mod -Revisited

    Search for "swaging tools", as that what it's called.
    Home Cheapot actually sells one that looks like boltcutters, and they also have some fittings. Look around the chain in the hardware isle.
    KennyD
    www.boltonhooks.com

    #BoltOnHooks



    Bolt-On Grab HooksTM, Bolt-On Clevis MountsTM, Weld-On Grab Hooks, Specialty Chain and Rigging Accessories, Specialty Hydraulic Components, and MUCH more!

    Visit our YouTube Channel

  9. #9
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,116
    Location
    Michigan
    Tractor
    Deere 3720 Cab eHydro , JD 455AWS, JD X749AWS, JD 2720, 2015 Toolcat, Bobcat E42 Excavator, BRP Maverick Max, JD 2032R

    Default Re: 47" Snowblower Chute Rotation Mod -Revisited

    Quote Originally Posted by kennyd View Post
    Search for "swaging tools", as that what it's called.
    Home Cheapot actually sells one that looks like boltcutters, and they also have some fittings. Look around the chain in the hardware isle.
    Yes, most people call then "swaging tools" but one of my businesses produces special fittings for the Cable Assembly Industry and they call them compression fittings Welcome to Sanlo Inc. - The Most Trusted Name in Wire Rope & Assemblies

    No need to spend money on a tool any hardware store can crimp the fittings for you.

  10. #10
    Gold Member Labrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    256
    Location
    Central NY
    Tractor
    JD 2210

    Default Re: 47" Snowblower Chute Rotation Mod -Revisited

    Thanks Turbo,

    I made this mod last night. It was easy and took about an hour. Makes a huge differance I don't have to stop short at the end of the driveway so I don't blow snow in the road and I can get up closer to the buidings now... I should have done this long ago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2016 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.