47" Snowblower Chute Rotation Mod -Revisited

/ 47" Snowblower Chute Rotation Mod -Revisited #1  

turbo36

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD X739 AWS (3), 2016 Toolcat, JD 2038R
Another member came up with a way to get more rotation out of the snowblower chute; it was posted in this thread. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...od-jd.html?highlight=snow+blower+47"+rotation
I performed the same mod with a slight change - instead of wrapping the cables around the bushing of the pulleys as suggested, I made up new cables (58" long) so I could wrap them in the "V" of the pulley instead thus lessening the wear and tear. Normally in the stock set-up you would take all the slack out of the cables to get the maximum rotation but since there is so much more rotation in this set-up I left a little slack to cut down on the cable wear also. Be careful not to leave so much slack that the cables fall off the pulleys.
One other thing to mention; I drilled the new holes 1 1/2" off the centerline of the slide anchor bolt but 1 1/4" would work better.

Thanks to the fellow that came up with this idea in the first place.

As per the "official TBN Policy" here are the pictures.:D

Attachments

• DSC_0023 (Large).JPG
    DSC_0023 (Large).JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 2,367
  • DSC_0024 (Large).JPG
    DSC_0024 (Large).JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 2,117
  • DSC_0025 (Large).JPG
    DSC_0025 (Large).JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 2,040
  • DSC_0029 (Large).JPG
    DSC_0029 (Large).JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 4,124
  • DSC_0032 (Large).JPG
    DSC_0032 (Large).JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 7,766
  • DSC_0034 (Large).JPG
    DSC_0034 (Large).JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 1,757
  • DSC_0033 (Large).JPG
    DSC_0033 (Large).JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 2,787
Last edited:
   / 47" Snowblower Chute Rotation Mod -Revisited #3  
Thanks for sharing the information.
Is the chute deflector cable system a John Deere option?

/ 47" Snowblower Chute Rotation Mod -Revisited
Thanks for sharing the information.
Is the chute deflector cable system a John Deere option?

Yes, I believe the number for the main kit is M147506 but the dealer also has to order additional parts for each specific model.

/ 47" Snowblower Chute Rotation Mod -Revisited #5  
Another member came up with a way to get more rotation out of the snowblower chute; it was posted in this thread. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...od-jd.html?highlight=snow+blower+47"+rotation
I performed the same mod with a slight change - instead of wrapping the cables around the bushing of the pulleys as suggested, I made up new cables (58" long) so I could wrap them in the "V" of the pulley instead thus lessening the wear and tear. Normally in the stock set-up you would take all the slack out of the cables to get the maximum rotation but since there is so much more rotation in this set-up I left a little slack to cut down on the cable wear also. Be careful not to leave so much slack that the cables fall off the pulleys.
One other thing to mention; I drilled the new holes 1 1/2" off the centerline of the slide anchor bolt but 1 1/4" would work better.

Thanks to the fellow that came up with this idea in the first place.

As per the "official TBN Policy" here are the pictures.:D

I love the extra rotation you have on your blower chute, you said that you made up some longer cables , I believe that the original cables have a solid ball on one end of the cable, did you order some cables somewhere ? How did you deal with this? Also you said that you drilled a new hole off the centerline of the slide anchor bolt? Can you elaborate on this, I want to do this to my blower but want to have everything ready when I start. what diameter is the cable? thanks for any information you can help me with

I love the extra rotation you have on your blower chute, you said that you made up some longer cables , I believe that the original cables have a solid ball on one end of the cable, did you order some cables somewhere ? How did you deal with this? Also you said that you drilled a new hole off the centerline of the slide anchor bolt? Can you elaborate on this, I want to do this to my blower but want to have everything ready when I start. what diameter is the cable? thanks for any information you can help me with

Here are some pictures to show the location of the drilled holes. I drilled 3/16" diameter holes and chamfered them with a 60 degree tool to lessen the stress.

The cable is 1/8" diameter - same as stock - My dealer handed me a big coil of cable along with some compression stops and compression tool and said "bring back what you don't use". (Time to put in a shameless plug for Jim and Jayson at "Four Seasons Lawn and Sport" --- John Deere are you listening????).
I would think that any old time hardware store would have the same on hand and could make the cables up for you. What was nice about having the extra fittings and compression tool was I could crimp the ends next to the chute and prevent fraying.

Attachments

• DSC_0001a (Large).JPG
    DSC_0001a (Large).JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 3,428
  • DSC_0002a (Large).JPG
    DSC_0002a (Large).JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 1,920
  • DSC_0003a (Large).JPG
    DSC_0003a (Large).JPG
    51 KB · Views: 1,318
  • DSC_0004a (Large).JPG
    DSC_0004a (Large).JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 3,626
   / 47" Snowblower Chute Rotation Mod -Revisited #7  
Here are some pictures to show the location of the drilled holes. I drilled 3/16" diameter holes and chamfered them with a 60 degree tool to lessen the stress.

The cable is 1/8" diameter - same as stock - My dealer handed me a big coil of cable along with some compression stops and compression tool and said "bring back what you don't use". (Time to put in a shameless plug for Jim and Jayson at "Four Seasons Lawn and Sport" --- John Deere are you listening????).
I would think that any old time hardware store would have the same on hand and could make the cables up for you. What was nice about having the extra fittings and compression tool was I could crimp the ends next to the chute and prevent fraying.
thanks for the great pictures and all the information, I will have to do a search on the internet to find a compression tool and some ends, do you think this is some special type of cable..like stainless steel or what should I be looking for?

/ 47" Snowblower Chute Rotation Mod -Revisited #8  
Search for "swaging tools", as that what it's called.
Home Cheapot actually sells one that looks like boltcutters, and they also have some fittings. Look around the chain in the hardware isle.

Search for "swaging tools", as that what it's called.
Home Cheapot actually sells one that looks like boltcutters, and they also have some fittings. Look around the chain in the hardware isle.

Yes, most people call then "swaging tools" but one of my businesses produces special fittings for the Cable Assembly Industry and they call them compression fittings :D Welcome to Sanlo Inc. - The Most Trusted Name in Wire Rope & Assemblies

No need to spend money on a tool any hardware store can crimp the fittings for you.

/ 47" Snowblower Chute Rotation Mod -Revisited #10  
Thanks Turbo,

I made this mod last night. It was easy and took about an hour. Makes a huge differance I don't have to stop short at the end of the driveway so I don't blow snow in the road and I can get up closer to the buidings now... I should have done this long ago.