4210 low on power/sluggish

/ 4210 low on power/sluggish #1  

jdgreg

Gold Member
Last night I was pulling my 4210 ehydro out of the barn to put on front chains, and noticed it was really sluggish, felt like it was barely able to make it from the barn to the house (all flat paved driveway) while in B range. I pretty much keep load match on all the time, and the sluggishness felt like I had hit a thick patch of grass with the bush hog. I tried running it in reverse, and it didnt see to feel nearly as sluggish as going forward.

I checked the brakes, and they dont seem to be sticking or dragging, though the right does seem to have less "feel' to it than the right - not sure how else to describe it. I tried each brake individually and they both seem to engage the same, and dont seem to be dragging.

I have a fuel filter and both hydro filters on order. I also have a new rockshaft filter and hose on order as well (boogered it up trying to get the filter off to clean it). These should be in tomorrow.

Anything else I should look at or check?

/ 4210 low on power/sluggish #2  
If you have power beyond, make sure you did not knock the hose off at the coupler. It needs that constant flow. I knocked mine off and it **** near stalled it. Is it idleing low and rough?

/ 4210 low on power/sluggish
Nope, no power beyond. No problems ideling, low or rough. It runs fine, just doesnt pull like it should when under way. It feels like it's getting bogged down. My fluid level may be a little lower than it should, but I'll make sure that's ok after I change the filters, etc. Thanks.

/ 4210 low on power/sluggish #4  
I think I would try and only change one thing at a time, so it might help you pinpoint the problem.
Fuel filter first. Also check the air filter. Then run it and see if that helped or not. Then do the transmission and filter change.

Sincerely, Dirt

/ 4210 low on power/sluggish #5  
I would also try to jack up the tractor in the rear and try to turn the rear wheels by hand. Put the range shifter in neutral and you should be able to turn both wheels freely. Let us know what you figure out.

/ 4210 low on power/sluggish #6  
How does it perform with loadmatch off? If turning the switch off seems to make it perform better, then it may be a throttle sensor problem.

Thanks guys, great suggestions. Dirt, point noted. After I get the new jackshaft filter and line installed, I'll make sure the fluid is topped off, and see if the problem is still there. If it is, I'll try turning off load match as Roger suggested, then go from there.

I'll have the new parts today, but probably wont be able to get to putting them on until later this week. Either way, I'll be sure and post the results. Thanks again.

/ 4210 low on power/sluggish #8  
My 4310 did that with the load match on. I turned it off and never used it again!! I must be using it wrong because I see no need for it.

I would also try to jack up the tractor in the rear and try to turn the rear wheels by hand. Put the range shifter in neutral and you should be able to turn both wheels freely. Let us know what you figure out.

We have a winnah!!!! Seems the root of the problem was the right brake was dragging. Thanks for all the suggestions. I replaced the rockshaft filter and line, topped off the fluid - no change, tried running it with the load match off - and it was worse, replaced both hydraulic filters and topped off fluid - no change, replaced fuel filter - no change.

After closer examination of the right brake, it just didnt seem right. So I pulled the shaft off at the wheel, and tied it up so it wouldnt drag, and used to hammer to try and move the brake arm at the rear axle. It would barely move, so it had to have been dragging. I made sure the brake was fully disengaged at the axle and tried running the tractor again. Sure does seem like that was it.

Now to figure out how to free it up. I expect I'll have to pull the wheel and maybe use some WD40 on it and work the arm to loose it up. Suggestions?