3-Point Hitch Help with Keeping 3PT Hitch Level While Blowing

/ Help with Keeping 3PT Hitch Level While Blowing #1  

NWL

I'm still trying to get the hang of using my rear snow blower. I can't get the blower to sit level while blowing. If I raise the the height of the right side of the hitch, then the left sides hits the gravel first when lowered and the right side is too high. If I continue to lower it all the way, then the right side goes down, but the skid shoes gouge the gravel. Ditto if I lower the right side of the hitch. Can someone help me figure out the right combination of skid shoe height and 3 PT hitch level so I don't throw all of my gravel into the woods?:confused:

How do I adjust the 3PT so that it is level when lowered? Should my blower be lowered all the way (with skid shoes on) or should I be keeping it up a bit?

Thanks for your input!

/ Help with Keeping 3PT Hitch Level While Blowing #2  
I guess you should start with rear tire pressures being the same. Typically for gravel drive way it is best to tip the top of the blower back towards the tractor( shorten the top link) This allows the SB to ride over most of the gravel.Height depends on the material in the drive way. Wether you have it ride on the skid shoes or not depends on how close you want to get to the gravel. Most skid shoes I've seen are not very good on gravel. You need a nice wide shoe to distribute the weight of the blower to keep from pushing up the stones in front of it. We set our blower up on concrete fist to get everything level and pitched. Then give it a dry run on the gravel minus snow and not turning to make sure if it does push gravel the skid shoes are high enough to compensate. If you SB doesnt float well because of the skid shoes not being wide enough you may ahve to modify them to work better for you.

I hope that is some help.

/ Help with Keeping 3PT Hitch Level While Blowing #3  
You don't mention what tractor you have, but most tractors have a float option on the hitch. The place where the lift link attaches to the draft link is usually slotted in some manner where changing position of pins and hardware allows some side to side float of the hitch. That can make a big difference in one side gouging in, especially on uneven surfaces. If you let us know what model tractor you have, we can give more specific advice.

/ Help with Keeping 3PT Hitch Level While Blowing
I've got a JD 870. shot-gun - thanks for the lesson in preparation! I had done some of what you suggested, but I didn't do a test run. You made me realize the importance of being prepared.

Right now I have the draft links in the "no lateral float" position. I have the sway links adjusted tight with the blower centered on the tractor. I've decided to put the tractor level on my concrete pad, then lower the blower until the one skid shoe touches the concrete, then lower the lift link until the other skid shoe touches concrete (skid shoes adjusted to same height). I have a good crown in my driveway. so as long as I go down one side then the other, if the blower is level to the tractor, I think it will be angled right for the drive. How does this sound to you guys?

Also, am I correct in thinking I don't want to lower the 3pt hitch all the way down, just to the point that the skid shoes touch the surface?

Thanks shot-gun and jd110 for yout input!

/ Help with Keeping 3PT Hitch Level While Blowing #5  
FWIW....
I have my 3520 draft links set to "side to side" float and when blowing, I just drop the blower down and let her float to her will.....wroks perfectly with my Blizzard B74 on my gravel driveway....I must also mention I have the skid shoes set up 1/2".....as for tilt of the blower itself, it was a trial by fire type adjustement, I think I just hit the sweet spot....easiest thing to reccomend is to just tune & tweak it as you use it....

Ultimately, I think the biggest thing with Gravel driveways & blowers is setting up a good base....I didnt use the blower for the first few snowfalls....just my front blade...

Spudland_Dave: Thanks for the tip about the draft links. It seems like that would help keep the skid shoes from digging in to the gravel. I'll give it a try after our next snow, which should be today and tomorrow.

/ Help with Keeping 3PT Hitch Level While Blowing #7  
Spudland_Dave: Thanks for the tip about the draft links. It seems like that would help keep the skid shoes from digging in to the gravel. I'll give it a try after our next snow, which should be today and tomorrow.

Gravel gouging shouldn't be a problem once the ground is frozen solid but if you live in an area where it remains soft you may want to install wider skid shoes or wheels.

Gravel gouging shouldn't be a problem once the ground is frozen solid but if you live in an area where it remains soft you may want to install wider skid shoes or wheels.

Thanks Karl2 for your input. My gravel never freezes solid and I live in Montana! I just hope I get the hang of this blower before all my gravel ends up in the woods. :D

/ Help with Keeping 3PT Hitch Level While Blowing #9  
Thanks Karl2 for your input. My gravel never freezes solid and I live in Montana!

:eek:

I just hope I get the hang of this blower before all my gravel ends up in the woods. :D

To be honest I don't know if it's possible to use a blower without throwing gravel at all unless there's a layer of ice/compacted snow on top of it. That said, I obtain good results by slightly tilting the top of the blower towards the tractor so that the auger does not contact the ground (you can tell it's grinding the ground if the tractor vibrates). Blowers are not really meant to remove snow clear to the ground even though a lot a people are obviously convinced they are! :D

Just a short update. Spudland_Dave's advice for putting the 3pt hitch in float worked great. I also raised my skid shoes a bit. The combination of the two allowed me to clear my 1/2 mile of driveway very well today with minimal gravel loss. :D

Thanks again to everyone who helped me. You folks are the best! :D:D:D