4010 Compact leaking antifreeze

/ 4010 Compact leaking antifreeze #1  

DarMar

Bronze Member
Tractor
2014 Massey Ferguson 1736
My 2004 4010 John Deere has only 159 hours on it and it is leaking antifreeze near the top of the motor near the front. It appears to be leaking the antifreeze from the area where the housing the has the fan pulley meets the engine. I'm not sure if there is a frost plug in this area or not or if its a seal/gasket that's broken. I've already determined that it is not the head gasket so have ruled that out. Also, are there any repair/parts manuals for this model? Any help would sure be appreciated.

/ 4010 Compact leaking antifreeze #2  
Welcome to TBN:D

The FSM (factory service manual) that JD sells on CD's for about $70 is a real bargain. There is a few threads about this recently if you search around.

Also, you can register and log into JDParts to see all the exploded parts diagrams, its the same basic system the parts guys use at the dealership.

I am at work now so I can't look it up for you and post a picture.

/ 4010 Compact leaking antifreeze #3  
I've a repair CD for my 4010. Here's the JD Parts URL: jdparts.deere.com/servlet/com.deere.u90.jdparts.view.servlets.maincontroller.SessionStartup?userAction=null Note: don't put any "www." in front. Think it was about $70.

When I get time probably this evening, I'll look in the CD and see if there's a picture in there that I can copy here for you.

My 4010 has about 350 hours on it with no leaks. I've changed the antifreeze twice now. They recommended every other year.

Ralph

/ 4010 Compact leaking antifreeze #4  
It's barely time for our fat, lazy newspaper lady to bring the paper by (promised by 6:30 vs. ALWAYS here by 5:30 when Wash Post was doing it); so, I copied a couple pictures. They're shown below, of the water pump and thermostat area.

I couldn't figure out how to capture the exploded parts views in the CD.

Ralph

Attachments

• Thermostat area 4010.jpg
    Thermostat area 4010.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 592
  • Water pump area 4010.jpg
    Water pump area 4010.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 550
   / 4010 Compact leaking antifreeze #5  
I had a similar sounding problem with my 4320. It drove me nuts because coolant was everywhere and I couldn't find where it was coming from. Everything was wet on the front of the engine. I finally found that it was actually the upper radiator hose. It was the craziest thing. The coolant leaked through the inside wall of the hose, traveled along the threads in the hose wall, and exited the hose wall at the end of the hose next to the engine. The hose clamp was super tight and the coolant still got past it. Anyway, I replaced the hose and all is well. Not sure if that is your problem, but it might help to check it out.

/ 4010 Compact leaking antifreeze
Thanks for all of the help. It appears that the leak may be from a leaking gasket on the water pump. I've checked all of the hose connections and you can clearly see that it is not leaking from any of the connections. I suspect it's the gasket because last weekend I decided to check the tightness of the bolts on the water pump and now it is leaking even more. I'm going to change the coolant so I might as well take a few more bolts and screws out so I can remove the radiator and see exactly what the problem is. It drives me nuts that I'm having this problem with a tractor that's barely broken in. I was going to send her off to the John Deere shop but I think I can fix this one my myself, I've just got to get some of that old farm boy ambition back after spending the first 23 years of my life on a North Dakota farm and the last 15 years behind a desk in Texas.

I think I found my problem. After removing the water pump it appears that the freeze plug (?) on the cylinder head next to the water intake is leaking. This plug is larger than the plugs on the cylinder block but don't know what else this would be. Anyone else have this problem?

Attachments

• 102_5518e.jpg
    102_5518e.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 928
   / 4010 Compact leaking antifreeze #8  
Sounds like you may have found the problem but I wouldn't be surprised if it only appeared to be the freeze plug. The best way to be sure is to pressurize the system with equipment (probably you do not have) and see where the leak is.

I recently went thru exactly what you are going thru on a 4320 which was still under warranty. Being the type that trys to find/correct problems to avoid transporting back to dealer, I looked and looked and thought the problem was either around the water pump or hoses. I tightened all hose clamps to no avail and called dealer to fix. Dealer found there was a very slight leak in the radiator which only seeped under pressure when running and the fan sucked the coolant back into the front of the engine making it look like the leak was in the area of the water pump. It was found by pressurizing the cooling system w/o running the engine. So, a new radiator fixed the problem.

/ 4010 Compact leaking antifreeze #9  
Does the back side of the pump have a 'weep' hole ?

It doesn't appear that the back of the pump has a weephole. When I removed the pump the area where the screwdriver is in the pic was wet. I would have antifreeze that would leak out on both sides of my engine which also led me to believe that it was leaking out of this plug. It would drip on the block below which is sloped in both directions and would cause it to go to both sides of the engine as you can see in the last pic. The leaking doesn't occur while the engine is running. Fluid will show up in a couple of days.

Attachments

• 102_5521e.jpg
    102_5521e.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 310
  • 102_5519e.jpg
    102_5519e.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 301