Default bleeding fuel line on 5205

I replaced the old cracked fuel line on my 5205. Not thinking, I started up the tractor and it ran for about 30 seconds just fine and then died.

It then occurred to me that I had totally forgotten to purge the air out of the fuel lines that I had replaced.

So far, I have pumped about a pint of diesel out of the bleed hole and it doesn't seem to be spitting or anything but I really believe that there is still air in the lines or somewhere.

Needless to say, the engine won't start.

I have about a half tank of fuel. I know the book says "fill it up" but if I am getting a steady stream coming out of the bleed hole......????

Ideas?

Tractor
    John Deere 3720 CAB, 455AWS

Default Re: bleeding fuel line on 5205

Welcome to TBN

Sometimes you have to crack open the injector lines right where it attaches to the injector to get air out while cranking-the air in the line compresses so there is not enough pressure to open the injector.
    KennyD
    www.boltonhooks.com

#BoltOnHooks

Bolt-On Grab HooksTM, Bolt-On Clevis MountsTM, Weld-On Grab Hooks, Specialty Chain and Rigging Accessories, Specialty Hydraulic Components, and MUCH more!

Visit our YouTube Channel

Silver Member
    Tractor
    JD 5205 JD 5203 Ford 3600 JD 850 JD 755 Kioti DK65

You also need to loosen the fuel return line where it attaches to the injector pump and hand prime till there are no bubbles there.
    Greg

Tractor
    John Deer 5205

After much effort, I just successfully completed bleeding the fuel line of the John Deere 5205. I spent a lot of time reviewing stuff on this and thought I'd add to the body of knowledge, since for someone not knowledgeable about tractors (like me) the existing directions can be hard to follow.

Here's what worked.

1. I didn't fill the tank, but put about 8 gallons of fuel in the tank beyond what was there, so there probably were 12 gallons or so in there when I started. This may be important because I've read that the tank is poorly placed at a low point in the tractor, and getting the fuel to the primer may be difficult unless the fuel level is high.

2. I removed the fuel water separator filter. No one told me to do this, but I kept reading that you should fill the fuel pump with diesel fuel. No one explained how to do this, so I figured I'd try to fill the fuel filter. This is on the right side of the engine as you sit in the seat, right near the rear of the engine compartment. If you lift the hood and sit down on the tractor, lean over and look on the right and you can see it. On top is the plunger that you push to prime the fuel. On the bottom is the plastic round water drain screw that you turn counterclockwise to drain water that separates out while you're running the tractor. The filter slides in below the primer housing and is held in by a plastic collar that you need to turn counterclockwise, and then pull the filter down (or you may need to turn it slightly before you pull down because there may be a slot you need to turn it out of) and remove it. Remove all water from the filter by loosening the plastic screw seal on the bottom. Then fill the filter with diesel fuel and replace it, pushing it up and sliding it in, then refastening the collar that holds it on.

3. There is a plastic air bleed bleed valve screw just above where the filer slides in. Loosen this 2 or 3 turns (you may need a screwdriver or wrench to get it started). Then push the primer down. Fuel should be forced out (because you just filled the filter with fuel). Re-tighten the bleed screw.

4. I tried starting at this point but it didn't turn over. I went back and pushed the primer pump a bunch of times. Maybe 20 or so. I opened the bleed valve and pushed the prime, hoping to push air out. Fuel was not coming out. Don't know if that accomplished anything.

5. Following instructions from the manual, I loosened the fuel line connection at the top of the fuel injector. Some people advise to loosen the first fuel injector, but (a) I couldn't figure out which was the first, and (b) I didn't want to mess with the fuel injectors. The manual says to loosen the fuel line connection, so I did that. The fuel injector assembly is on the other side of the engine block from the fuel filter (left side if you are sitting in the seat) also toward the rear of the engine, perfectly placed so you cannot see the primer when working on the fuel line or vice versa. The fuel line connects in above where the fuel injectors are connected. Best to look at a picture in the manual. The fuel injectors screw in horizontally. Above them and further forward there is a line that connects into that assembly from above. You'll need a wrench to loosen the nut that attaches this line to the assembly. I unscrewed it all the way, but probably shouldn't have (it makes it harder to get back on). Loosening it 6 or 7 turns is probably enough. Then go back and press the primer another bunch of times. The idea I think is that you're trying to push fuel through the line and push out the air where the fuel line connects to the fuel injectors. I never saw any fuel push out of that line, however, and I got tired of pushing the primer pump. So I decided to try to crank the engine, since some people say you should do that to push the air out (but the manual says don't because it is possible to harm the injectors, so I was only going to do it for a few seconds). Within 2-3 seconds the engine started to turn over. I stopped and looked at the fuel line and saw fuel was coming out. Then I tightened the fuel line back on the injector assembly, did a few more pump primes over at the fuel filter, and tried to start it up. I started at high revs because I'd read somewhere that the primer doesn't get actuated until you reach higher engine levels, but I don't know if this is true. Anyway, it worked! I kept it running at about 2000 rpm for 30-45 seconds, saw white smoke and dark smoke, then no smoke. Engine seemed to be running smoothly, and that was that.

I hope this helps someone.

Good luck.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD_4x2_Gator, JD_4300, JD_X485, JD_425, JD_455, JD_110

that you got it running.

You can see the fuel lines, etc. in schematics on jdparts.com.
    John Deere - Parts Catalog
    Put in your model number, then go to "F" under alphabetical listing and then "Fuel injection line". That will help you with No. 1, No.2, etc as there is an arrow pointing front. Hope this helps you in the future.