Chains types of tire chains

/ types of tire chains #1  

Dale1995

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 2320
I have a 2320 John deere, I have been debating on getting a set of 2 link chains for the back when I snowblow my driveway. We have had a lot of ice and freezing rain this year in Northern Maine. After doing some searches online I see alot of cable style chains that have zig zag pattern when attached to the tire. Has anybody tried these chains, and what is your experience and impression of them? Should I just stay with the standard 2 link chains? I seem to be having a hard time to find chains for this tire size 31x13.50-15NHS. Does anyone know of site I can buy chains of this size without breaking the bank? Thanks for your help:D

/ types of tire chains #2  
I have used the cable type on a semi b-4 and they don't hold up under those loads. They might under tractor loads. Someone on another post recomended Tire Chains by TireChains.com They have free shipping on orders over $100.

/ types of tire chains #3  
What kind of tires do you have on your tractor ?

Don't get chains that will fall between your treads !

/ types of tire chains
I have the turf style tire, I was told this was better for lawn mowing and the type of work I was going to do.

/ types of tire chains #5  
Turfs will definitely give you a wider choice on snow chains as there wouldn't be a concern of the chains falling in between the treads.

To what degree of bite you will need, only you can answer.

Is there any worry over marking up the surface that you will be driving on ?

/ types of tire chains
I am snow blowing on an asphalt driveway, and occassionaly on the lawn, I don't want to damage my driveway, but still want some traction on the ice. I had 2 link chains on my other John Deere tractor. I was wondering if there was something better out there. What do you think

/ types of tire chains #7  
If you've been using nothing before, cable chains alone would be a great improvement.

Fairly flat area ?

/ types of tire chains
A few small hills, near my roadway, I have 4 wheel drive on my tractor, but just wanted that extra bite on the ice, so I don't spin so easy. I was wondering if the cable chains would help or even hold up?

/ types of tire chains #9  
We just got over a snowy/icy spell here and I used plain cable chains on my truck to get back and forth to work. They held up just fine.

Without them I couldn't get out of my own way. One morning I got stuck in my own flat driveway.

/ types of tire chains #10  
Wouldn't suggest cable chains for a tractor. 2 link I think would be fine; V bar or duo-grip style are better on ice but harder on concrete. Tirechains.com site explains a lot about the different types.