Short lived model numbers

/ Short lived model numbers #1  

TomWhite

Silver Member
Tractor
Deere 3005
Recently I have been reading and posting to various threads about some of the newer models of utility tractors from Deere such as the 3032E (just introduced) and others like the 3203 and 3120 (both recently dumped).

Some models seem to hang around forever (like the 790/3005), some disappear much more quickly (3120, 3203).

What are your thoughts or experiences with some of the shorter lived models from Deere?

Did they just flat out make a mistake in introducing that particular model?

Were the sales so bad they decided to cut their losses and dump it?

Were the factors that led to the short life more design or market?

I know car companies just sometimes have what appears to be a brain fart in a cars design (be it safety or style), and dump it (Pinto, Vega, Pacer). Has this happened to Deere as well?

I'd be very interested to hear from people more familiar with the Deere models over the years to get your opinions.

/ Short lived model numbers #2  
I'd say sales figures are the biggest impact on anything, as to whether a company will keep producing them or not. If there is low or no demand for that model, then why waste the money to keep producing it.

/ Short lived model numbers
I'd say sales figures are the biggest impact on anything, as to whether a company will keep producing them or not. If there is low or no demand for that model, then why waste the money to keep producing it.

I agree. I guess the next question would be what led to the low sales figures?

Too close in features and price to another of their models? Not enough features for the price? Ugly as diaper gravy?

/ Short lived model numbers #4  
For the 3120 and 3203 I would say it was to much of a similarity to the 3320 that hurt them. You tend to see more people buy the 3320 than the lesser 3x series. I look at it as, if the 2720 is 27 hp and a small package, while the lesser 3x series tractors only have a larger size going for them because there horse power is close in comparison, then why spend the money on a 3120 or 3203. If your need is bigger size, then you better off spending your money on a 3320 so you get a worthwhile upgrade in power as well to go along with the size advantage.

If you look at the 790/3005, it used to be a 30 hp tractor. But JD cut the power on it as it was taking to much of a cut out of the premium 3x series tractors. Now it's only 27 hp so that it has it's own niche. Secondly, the 300 loader, the reason they may only offer that on this tractor is because if someone wants a higher load capacity, they want them to step up to the more expensive line of tractors.

The way I see it in the 3x premium series tractors, the 3320 and 3520 are the best sellers. The 3320, because a customer figures there is no point in spending the money to upgrade to the size of a bigger tractor when you still get very near the same hp with the lesser 3x series. The 3320 as well is the lowest priced model that can have the PR trans and 300cx loader combined on it. The 3520, because a customer wants a turbo charged engine and this model is the first in line. Also these both may be popular because a customer may figure if there spending this much money on a tractor, why not just get the "20" models with all the options.

That's my take on it.

/ Short lived model numbers #5  
Gee, it sounds like you read my thoughts pretty accurately LOL!

that is what lead me to the 3320 and 3520, and I settled on the 3520 because i wanted a cab and I have slopes to climb - figured with my 72" MMM, CAB & AC, and slopes on a hot day, it might require a bit more horses.

/ Short lived model numbers #6  
Other than 755 I haven't seen a real "failure" from Deere. My opinion is they retire models as there is no demand for that number OR TOO MUCH demand that requires a new line. Example: I own a 6415 - this is discontinued. When I bought it I was pricing Deere against Kubota and there was nothing in Deere line that compared other than the 6415 - they were awful proud of 6420's as price was high for amount of hours I was going to put on it. Now, with the E series they have built a whole line around a stripped version to match same power and features as kubota line. This is my take on what happened there.

Also I believe they build lines around "the customer is always right, even when they are wrong". Example is the 3120 vs. 3320 thing. Same thing applies to anything people want to buy, they want what they want even if it makes no sense at all. They have the mental image of "just right" even if for $500 you can have the next size up! These people just see trees, have parameters and won't budge. Now, I'm not judging it as I'm a forest guy who can't focus on the same tree more than 5 minutes!!! It takes all kinds.... and thus different lines, some size has to be the smallest, largest, weirdest..... and as a friend of mine who deals cars says "there is an *** for every seat!" :D