4100 hydraulic problems

/ 4100 hydraulic problems #1  

outlander54

Tractor
1998 JD 4100 Compact Tractor 4WD HST
Hi
I have a 1998 4100 HST.
In Nov 2006 I had to replace the charge pump (parts on service bill AM879432, AM879433, AM880337, CH10568), Trans/Hyd oil & filter (LVU800097) after 720hrs. The problem started out as the power steering would be hard to turn and got easier as the tractor ran (warmed up). Then got to a point where it was always hard to turn. The dealer said the high pressure or charge pump was gone.
Well now in Jan 2009 and at 939hrs the problem is surfacing again. I do not believe the pump should go this soon with normal wear. Does anyone know of anything that maybe contributing to these failures? All oils are changed as recommended and always kept up. I have also notice now that while snow plowing you get a hot hydraulic oil smell.
Thanks for any suggestions.

/ 4100 hydraulic problems #2  
Welcome to TBN:D

This is the first I have heard of this trouble in the 4xxx series machines.

I am not sure what the charge pump (usually inside the HST) has to do with the steering? The steering has it's own dedicated hydraulic pump:confused:

/ 4100 hydraulic problems
Hi Kenny
From the CD manuals I have it shows there is a hydrostatic pump and a charge pump. On the 4100 the power steering comes from the charge pump, I believe on other models there was a separate pump. Oil from the 4.2gpm charge pump (gear unit) goes through the steering control pressure control valve set at 270psi to the power steering control valve. The variable displacement piston pump (12.6gpm) only feeds the hyrdostatic motor. I can forward pdf pages from the Tech manual if anyone needs them.

/ 4100 hydraulic problems #4  
Where did you get the CD for the 4100? I may be getting a burnt one, and am going to need a LOT of HELP!!
David from jax

One option is eBay as mentioned.
I ordered mine from the JD web site and had the 4100 Tech Manual, Parts Manual, Loader parts manual , and mower parts manual all put on it.
The files on it are all PDF.

/ 4100 hydraulic problems #7  
Thanks for the manual listings, but I need to actually take ownership of the 4100 before I go spending money on a manual. Hopefully I will be able to do that soon, and won't miss the one on ebay.
Thanks, David from jax

/ 4100 hydraulic problems #8  
One option is eBay as mentioned.
I ordered mine from the JD web site and had the 4100 Tech Manual, Parts Manual, Loader parts manual , and mower parts manual all put on it.
The files on it are all PDF.

I also bought all mine from JD.

/ 4100 hydraulic problems #9  
The power steering on my 4100 is almost gone. It's also a 1998. So I guess the charge pump is it. Did you change it yourself or have it done?

Hi
The unit was replaced by the JD dealer.
There was about $940 in parts and $1080 in labour back in Nov 2006 (plus our 14% tax in Ontario).
If this is my problem again I think I will do the work myself. I am currently reviewing the Tech Manual I have to see what all is required.