4720 front axle capacity

/ 4720 front axle capacity #1  

Ramairfreak98ss

Silver Member
Tractor
Ferris/Simplicity/John Deere
I think my manual said something like it was a 4000lb capacity ?

Not sure why im thinking of that number, just just for kicks.

If i take the pallet forks on the 400cx loader, lift up ~2600lb of weight, even with an extended ballast box on the back filled to the top with concrete on a 4720 cab, it still has teetered on the front axle, i mean lifts the back end of the tractor up a couple times so i lowered the load.

Thats assuming 5000lb tractor, 1400lb ish weight on back, driver 175lbs, fuel
load of 2600lbs is
well over 9,000lbs on the front two tires/axle. Do they just not want to you drive around with it like that for a whole day straight or is it ok to unload a skid off a truck and move it 20ft to sit it down?

/ 4720 front axle capacity #2  
Remember, the loader connects to the middle of the tractor, this helps distribute the load, esp if you have weights on the back.

JD designed loader for tractor, it must be OK, I would not worry about it.

/ 4720 front axle capacity #3  
I mentioned on here a while back about lifting a bundle of 6" x 8' posts (~3000lb load including pallet forks) with my 400x and got scolded because my front tires were pancaked as I was doing it. I couldn't get them any higher than about 4', loader wouldn't get 'em any higher.

I wouldn't do it all day long, but admittedly I did it and got away with it.

-Jer.

/ 4720 front axle capacity #4  
Even with the loader mounted in the middle, if the rear tires come off the ground, the entire load of the tractor transfers to the front axle.

How much does your ballast box weigh? Sounds like you need a lot mroe weight in it. I belive the capacity of the 3-point is around 2500 lbs.