Oil & Fuel Diesel, Water plus Cold Weather

/ Diesel, Water plus Cold Weather #1  

Gizmo2

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 2320
I woke up to 8 inches of new snow...and a tractor that would not start. Cleaned, reassemble and then did it all again, just as bad the second time. Tractor is now running fine. It is now 12:28 PM, trying to warm up then I think I'll go plow. Just thought I would share, never seen anything quite as bad.

IMG_0642_1.jpg

/ Diesel, Water plus Cold Weather #2  
I woke up to 8 inches of new snow...and a tractor that would not start. Cleaned, reassemble and then did it all again, just as bad the second time. Tractor is now running fine. It is now 12:28 PM, trying to warm up then I think I'll go plow. Just thought I would share, never seen anything quite as bad.

View attachment 119222
We have had it cold here all week in northern maine. Temps were down to -50 one morning, then -30 for a couple of days. My tractor sleeps in the garage. So after pluging in the block heater for 4 hours it fired right up. I let it run for about 20 minutes then thought I would go out and blow a little snow to warm up the hydraulic system. After about 10 minutes of blowing...my tractor started to spit and sputter, immediately I nursed it back into the garage (I was Lucky) I plugged in the salamander to heat up the garage and added 2 gallons of kerosene to the fuel tank. I also added some kerosene to my fuel barrel to help cut that down. Funny thing is that I had treated all my fuel with Howes Diesel treatment, much stronger than they recommended. But I still had problems. Hopefully this will fix my problems. I started up the tractor and let it idle for a while. Do you think I will be all right now....Good Luck:(

/ Diesel, Water plus Cold Weather #3  
I'm guessing you didn't use any diesel treatment ?

/ Diesel, Water plus Cold Weather #4  
I'm guessing you didn't use any diesel treatment ?
Yep I used Howes diesel treatment, I guess it was just too cold....-50 friday and then -30 for three days in a row:eek:

/ Diesel, Water plus Cold Weather #5  
Yep I used Howes diesel treatment, I guess it was just too cold....-50 friday and then -30 for three days in a row:eek:
OK....:confused:

Gizmo2, did you use any diesel treatment ?

/ Diesel, Water plus Cold Weather #6  
yep I used lots of diesel treatment in my fuel, matter of fact I doubled what was recommended. but I still had problems

/ Diesel, Water plus Cold Weather #7  
I have seen too much of that this year. I get to see it in a filter 10x that size and the Sterling does not run any better than a Deere like that. That is not water in the fuel that is the wax for lubrication of the fuel pump. We have had more gell ups than I can remember, but this is the coldest temps we have had here in 12 yrs. I blame that **** low sulfer fuel!!!

/ Diesel, Water plus Cold Weather #8  
We have had it cold here all week in northern maine.

No kidding. Didn't have any problems with my tractor though, even if it sleeps outdoors. Block heater and cab kept the elements in check. It was even fun to watch that long plume of vapor coming out of the "funnel" (vertical exhaust lol) trail me for as far as I could see in the rear-view mirrors going down the road, felt like I was driving a steam locomotive. Didn't use any diesel treatment, last month I purchased a 500-gallon fuel trailer and had it filled with winterized commercial diesel from Irving in Portland. Almost every other commercial snow removal contractor I know uses this fuel but we have no Irving commercial retailer locally so we haul it. No idea what they put in it but it works.

Last edited:
   / Diesel, Water plus Cold Weather
I have seen too much of that this year. I get to see it in a filter 10x that size and the Sterling does not run any better than a Deere like that. That is not water in the fuel that is the wax for lubrication of the fuel pump. We have had more gell ups than I can remember, but this is the coldest temps we have had here in 12 yrs. I blame that **** low sulfer fuel!!!
Thanks, I learned something already today (wax, ULSD). Just when I thought I knew everything.:cool:

/ Diesel, Water plus Cold Weather #10  
I have seen as low as -20F here in central NH and run nothing more than the recommended dose of Power Service Fuel Supplement. After this past 12" storm, I went out to my Kioti stored in a carport with just a roof, turned the key and waited for the light to go out and she started right up. I have a bottle of Power Service 911 just in case it does gel, but that has only happened once and it was in my plow truck.

I have two friends that have used Howe's diesel treatment and both had gelling issues, they have since switched to Power Service and haven't had a problem since.