Spare Key - Do you have to go the dealer?

/ Spare Key - Do you have to go the dealer? #1  

wcpeabody

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 770
Several months ago I bought a '97 770. It only came with 1 key. I stopped at the local Ace Hardware to have them make another key but they did not have the right kind of blank.

Do I need to go to the dealer or should I keep checking hardware stores as I go by them?

Have you had a key made at a hardware store?

Thanks in advance!

/ Spare Key - Do you have to go the dealer? #2  
Most Deere keys are the same, if you stop by the dealer to pick up maintenance supplies or ogle the implements they may even give you one for free.

/ Spare Key - Do you have to go the dealer? #3  
Go to the dealer. Most keys are the same for each brand tractor and they'll have extras in stock.

/ Spare Key - Do you have to go the dealer? #4  
I don't think the 97' key will be the same as the newer model tractor keys. Make sure you get the correct one to fit your year and model machine.

Sincerely, Dirt

/ Spare Key - Do you have to go the dealer?
Thanks for the input. I am pretty stocked up on maintenance supplies I went through and did a 500 hour service on it when I bought it a couple of months ago. It had just over 630 hours and I do not think the 500 hour service was done.

The dealer I used to get those supplies does not stock anything nearly small enough for my tractor to use :D They appear to specialize in large industrial equipment. But I will say they have been pretty good to work with.

There is another dealer on the other side of town but it is about 30 minutes away and I do not seem to head over that way very often during business hours

BP

/ Spare Key - Do you have to go the dealer? #6  
I agree that you should go to the dealer. I have a '03 2210 model and very recently bought a couple spare keys - just had to give them the model number. They had all the keys in a big tray organizer. I couldn't buy just one spare key, they came packaged as a pair. I think it was about $5.50 with tax - well worth the peace of mind of having a couple extra keys.

Mark

/ Spare Key - Do you have to go the dealer? #7  
I got another from the dealer, free.

Ralph

/ Spare Key - Do you have to go the dealer? #8  
Lowes says they carry Deere replacement keys.John Deere at Lowe's: John Deere Tractor Key

If not there..and you don't want to take a drive, order one on line from John Deere.. You don't have to leave your house. I had a Deere 770 and bought a spare key from the local hardware store.

/ Spare Key - Do you have to go the dealer? #9  
Yeah, but they're free from the dealer.

Ralph

/ Spare Key - Do you have to go the dealer? #10  
The key for my 5325 fits the 5203 but not the 2320.

Went to the key place to get another one for the 2320 and they said you have to go to JD. Looking at these emails, looks like that may not be true. Anyhow, I keep forgetting to get a spare but will just go to the dealer I guess.