Tires Rear Tire Spacing on JD790

/ Rear Tire Spacing on JD790 #11  
I'm unable to upload to my member gallery and I am unable to create an album.
Old problem that still seems to effect some members.

Just post them directly into the thread.

Or create a Photobucket or similar acc.

/ Rear Tire Spacing on JD790 #12  
unfortunatelyim about to get on an airplane to Toronta so want be able to measure until Thursday. mine is last years 790. maybe someone else will be able to measure theirs.

Just sitting here killing time and remembered that the outside of my fenders are near the middle of my R1s, see attached pictures. I don't think the fenders on the 790/3005 have ever changed.

Attachments

• IMG_0799_small.JPG
    IMG_0799_small.JPG
    481.4 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_0802_small.jpg
    IMG_0802_small.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 113
   / Rear Tire Spacing on JD790
Just sitting here killing time and remembered that the outside of my fenders are near the middle of my R1s, see attached pictures. I don't think the fenders on the 790/3005 have ever changed.

With my wheels at their narrow configuration the centerline of the tire is directly beneath the outside edge of the fender. My hope is that if I am able to push the wheels out 4" further on each side (by swapping the rims right to left and left to right) I'd have enough room for chains.

I did notice that my wheels are different than yours. (Mine are 2002.)

Kevin

Attachments

• JohnDeere790.jpg
    JohnDeere790.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_0912-2.jpg
    IMG_0912-2.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 94
   / Rear Tire Spacing on JD790 #14  
With my wheels at their narrow configuration the centerline of the tire is directly beneath the outside edge of the fender. My hope is that if I am able to push the wheels out 4" further on each side (by swapping the rims right to left and left to right) I'd have enough room for chains.

I did notice that my wheels are different than yours. (Mine are 2002.)

Kevin

My experience with 8-position rims on a JD970 lead me to a different conclusion... if you keep the same tread direction and swap the wheels to the opposite side, the "cup" or dish of the rims will give you a narrower wheel stance - not wider.

You will need to unbolt the rims from the center and move the tire/rim to the innermost mounts in order to place the tire out to it's widest stance.

A buddy has an older, 790 with rims like your model and runs chains all-around. Heavy, 3/8" bruisers.

Good luck.

AKfish

My experience with 8-position rims on a JD970 lead me to a different conclusion... if you keep the same tread direction and swap the wheels to the opposite side, the "cup" or dish of the rims will give you a narrower wheel stance - not wider.

You will need to unbolt the rims from the center and move the tire/rim to the innermost mounts in order to place the tire out to it's widest stance.

I guess I wasn't clear in my explanation. What you describe (above) is what I intended, and how the width is increased - by unbolting the center part of the wheel (the dished piece) from the rim. The dished center piece remains bolted to the axle and stays the same, but is attached to rim mounts which (by switching sides) are positioned on the innermost side of the rim (see photo for the "narrow" configuration, before reversing).

All the best,
Kevin

Attachments

• wheel.jpg
    wheel.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 114
   / Rear Tire Spacing on JD790 #16  
There ya go! I got it, now. By the way, you got a score on that tractor..! Very nice.

Best of luck.

AKfish

I would certainly get them as wide as possible for stability. Mine came in their widest position.

From what I can tell in the attached photos in another of your posts, it looks as if your tread width is the same as mine (center of tire aligned with outer edge of fender). While your wheels are newer and slightly different (2 bolts at each mount on the rim), they have the same options for swapping side to side and gaining another 8 inches of tread width (4 inches per side).

Kevin

Last edited:
   / Rear Tire Spacing on JD790 #18  
Yes, you are right. I need to talk to the dealer and see if anyone has done this. My tires are filled so it would be job to swap them.