Tires Rear Tire Spacing on JD790

/ Rear Tire Spacing on JD790 #1  

Gypsy Rose

Tractor
JD790
I've recently purchased a 2002 JD790 with 11.2 x 24 R1's on the rear. Those of you with this configuration know that there isn't much room between the tire tread and the fender. I'ver read posts from others saying that they are unable to use chains on their 790 with R1's.

A couple questions for 790 owners:

1) How much extra tread width can be gained by reversing the tires (side to side)?

2) Given that the tire slopes off from the crown, will the extra width (putting the centerline of the tire tread outside of the fender) give enough clearance to run chains?​

Thanks,
Kevin

/ Rear Tire Spacing on JD790 #2  
Don't know about your 790, but my wheels/tires came set to the farthest outward available position.
Don't believe I could even mount them the other way, not enough room.
(Just to confirm, my wheels are one piece.)

How do you feel about wheel spacers ?

/ Rear Tire Spacing on JD790
My wheels are two piece. The rims have 4 mounting plates through which the inner portion of the wheel bolts to.

The manual specifies tread width, but the numbers given are for the narrower configuration. It looks as if I can gain perhaps 4 inches of width per side by swapping the rims from side to side (which is recommended in the manual for increased stability). In my case, I'm hoping to gain room for chains.

~Kevin

/ Rear Tire Spacing on JD790 #5  
I would certainly get them as wide as possible for stability. Mine came in their widest position. This is my second winter plowing snow with R1s and I've have never felt that I need chains. In fact on ice and snow I have never lost traction when in 4WD.

I definately plan to do it for stability reasons, but I'll be waiting until the temperatures get a little closer to freezing. (Our temps have been falling to 20, 30, even 40 below this winter and I haven't seen a day above the freezing mark since December. I don't have an indoor shop so my work on the tractor takes place in the field.)

Until the weather turns a bit milder I was wondering how much the gap would widen between the top of the tire and the fender once I switch them to the wide configuration. (On the 790 with R1 tires, the issue is not clearance to the inside of the fender, but rather between the top of the tall R1's and the underside of the fender. Hence, my original question - How much space will the wide setting gain me between the top of the tire and the fender - once the crown of the tire is offset outside the fenderwell?)

As for traction, well, the road to my place is a very narrow class-four (unmaintained and unplowed) 9-foot wide single-lane track with trees close on one side and a ditch that carries spring water year-round on the other. There is probably not a single level spot on the entire road (nor on my 45 acres). When I bought my tractor, the tires were not loaded and I've debated whether or not I want to carry the extra weight around the fields in the summer. Chains (plus the 300 lb weight of the rear blade) seemed like they would be the ticket for winter plowing traction. (As it is now, my tires regularly spin when pushing the snow and the come-along has been used more than once if one of the front tires happens to skid off the narrow track into the ditch where, even with feet of snow covering the ground, the spring water keeps the ground soft.)

Thanks,
Kevin

Last edited:
   / Rear Tire Spacing on JD790 #7  
I wouldn't have room for chains between my R1s and the fenders. I have my rears filled. I also push a very heavy front blade which along with the filled tires and BB on the back probably helps my traction.

I wouldn't have room for chains between my R1s and the fenders.

Do you happen to know what the tread width is for your rear tires (measured from center to center)?

Thanks,
Kevin

/ Rear Tire Spacing on JD790 #9  
unfortunatelyim about to get on an airplane to Toronta so want be able to measure until Thursday. mine is last years 790. maybe someone else will be able to measure theirs.

unfortunatelyim about to get on an airplane to Toronta so want be able to measure until Thursday. mine is last years 790. maybe someone else will be able to measure theirs.

I'll look forward to hearing what your measurement is when you return.

I'd post a photo showing the clearance I've got if only I could get a photo to upload. Anyone else ever have a problem with the following error message:

/home/tractorb/htdocs/photos/uploads/67641: Error creating directory (check permissions).

I'm unable to upload to my member gallery and I am unable to create an album.

Thanks much,
Kevin