bucket won't lift

/ bucket won't lift #1  

refueler

I plowed snow the other night and every thing worked right the next day I went out to clean up and the bucket wouldn't raise it will put down pressure on the bucket and it will curl and uncurl the bucket. When you try to raise the bucket the relief valve lifts but doesn't lift at all. I tried reversing the hoses putting the curl hoses on the lift and the lift hoses on the curl. This made no difference when I activated the controls the same thing happened only the contols were reversed. I looked at the hydraulic oil it is a little milky. Last summer I broke a hydraulic line I put an oil in that met jd standards so I am going to use the rest of the bargain oil to flush the system and replace the filter, clean the screen, and put jd hydraulic oil. Its been really cold here for over a month and snowing alot I need my tractor to plow snow. Anyone with any ideas would be appreciated.

/ bucket won't lift #2  
I would guess the water in the fluid froze in the lift cylinders. Can you get it in the shed or garage to see if it will thaw ??

/ bucket won't lift #3  
Wouldn't be the first time I've heard of moisture freezing in the hydraulic system. Can you move it?.. If not get a heater and a big tarp and ..well you get the idea.

It could be something else, but cold weather has been known to create lots of issue to machinery...if heat fixes the symptom, I'd flush the hydraulic fluid soon to get rid of the water.

/ bucket won't lift #4  
It is said water can collect in the control valve and freeze. Perhaps apply heat in some form to the control valve will make for a temporary fix if that was the problem.:D

/ bucket won't lift #5  
if the fluid is mily, you got water... water probably froze in the cyliders and is causing your dilema.. get her warmed up and drain that old fluid!

/ bucket won't lift #6  
Yup... extended cold has a way of eventually creating a problem for equipment! A warm garage is a much nicer place to do some trial and error diagnostic work.

Was out plowing in +5F and a 30mph wind a couple days ago (it's now minus 20F) and the cold froze up my hydraulic diverter switch. Couldn't run my rear blade in/out and tilt - it was just kinda droopin' on the 3pt!

A night in the garage and all is well again.

Good luck.

AKfish