JD technical manual vs. Parts manual: A question

/ JD technical manual vs. Parts manual: A question #1  

JJE64

Tractor
X585
I own an X585 and wish to get the Technical manual from JD. I am assuming this is the "service/shop" manual. They also list a parts catalog. What does it contain that the tech manual does not? Why would I need/want the parts catalog in addition to the tech manual?

My goal is to do simple troubleshooting and maintenance on my tractor. I do not intend to breakdown the engine to its component level and rebuild it with new pistons, or some such level of service. I intend to repair the tractor with minor failures, replace sensors if they fail, electrical troubleshooting, etc.

I already do fluid/filter changes.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
jje64

/ JD technical manual vs. Parts manual: A question #2  
What I like about the parts catalog is that it shows exploded view diagrams of the entire tractor. You can see how things go together and what each of the parts numbers is if you need to purchase one.

However, these are available on-line, so I don't see why anyone would want to buy one. I did buy the tech manual though and it is worth the investment in my opinion.

/ JD technical manual vs. Parts manual: A question #4  
At the moment.
Tomorrow could be a different story. :rolleyes:

Very good point... and for the price of a new hydraulic filter - you'll have comparative diagrams and part's numbers to work hand in hand with the Technical Repair manual.

And the next owner of your tractor will recognize first off that you were well invested in the care and upkeep of your machine and will be more likely to pay what you're asking!

AKfish

/ JD technical manual vs. Parts manual: A question #5  
I ended up with all 3,,,,in both formats.

/ JD technical manual vs. Parts manual: A question
Thank you for the quick replys. Am I to understand that the tech manual does not have the part diagrams/blow up's? Is it basically a step-bystep instruction manual with minimal pictures?

Regards
jje64

/ JD technical manual vs. Parts manual: A question #7  
Am I to understand that the tech manual does not have the part diagrams/blow up's?
Correct.

Is it basically a step-bystep instruction manual with minimal pictures?
I don't know about "minimal", they are all B/W though.

Here's a sample page.

Last edited:
   / JD technical manual vs. Parts manual: A question
That was a very big help! Thank you for the attachment. I also saw some blow-ups of the parts locations on the JD site.

I can see why one would want both. That made my decision for me.

Thanks again
jje64

/ JD technical manual vs. Parts manual: A question #9  
At the moment.
Tomorrow could be a different story.

I look my own parts up and take the #'s to the dealer or order direct online for p/u at the dealer. If most customers do this the dealers will make sure it stays free!!! Saves me and him time. I can order parts at my leasure not just when the dealer is open. I am still old-school because I confirm the order the next day. Just want to make sure it gets ordered.

/ JD technical manual vs. Parts manual: A question #10  
when you buy ask for the cd instead of printed version if possible. Big big savings.