3320 Vertical Exhaust Install (pics)

/ 3320 Vertical Exhaust Install (pics) #1  

WH401

Platinum Member
I know there is already a lengthy discussion on this in the Customization forum as well as in this forum, but I figured I would give you all my take on this anyway.

I have had the kit ordered for about the last 3 month's and finally decided to go pick it up and install it. The installation went fairly quick and was pretty straight forward.

The tool's I used were a drill, a 3 5/8" hole saw, never seize, sand paper, and various ratchets, sockets, and wrenches.

This is the old exhaust and everything left of the exhaust clamp will be removed.:

This the mark in the hood where you will drill the hole for the new exhaust elbow to come through.

This is the hole drilled and the new elbow attached to the muffler.

And finally, this is the finished product and what it will look like.

Overall it is a nice quality kit and a very clean install. The only problem I ran into was the supplied exhaust clamp that tightens the new elbow on to the muffler would not fit the new elbow. The end of the elbow either needed to be compacted, but this wouldn't allow it to fit onto the muffler, or the clamp needed to be reshaped. I just ended up reusing the old clamp as that was the quickest solution and there was nothing wrong with it.

So far I like it and it work's as its intended too. At first I had the stack facing forward but I was getting to much of the fume's in my face. I then turned it to the left and have left it like that ever since. In this position I get a hint of diesel on occasion but no where near like what I was getting with the stock exhaust. I may fabricate a stack that is about a foot taller to see if I can eliminate the fumes almost completely, but for right now it works very well.

IMO, if anyone buy's a tractor, new or old, this should be the first thing you do. Diesel exhaust is extremely harmful and why the manufacturer put's it down low is beyond me. Probably a design thing that make's it sell more, who knows.

Have a nice day.:cool:

/ 3320 Vertical Exhaust Install (pics) #2  
Looks like the install went pretty smooth. Good job! I have a couple questions though.... Why did you install the vertical exhaust, instead of leaving it the way it was?? Also, did this change make it sound any louder to you (as heard from the seat position) after you made it into a vertical exahaust??

/ 3320 Vertical Exhaust Install (pics)
Looks like the install went pretty smooth. Good job! I have a couple questions though.... Why did you install the vertical exhaust, instead of leaving it the way it was?? Also, did this change make it sound any louder to you (as heard from the seat position) after you made it into a vertical exahaust??

I changed it because with the OEM exhaust your constantly getting the diesel fumes in your face and I couldn't stand to breathe them. I couldn't stand the fumes so much I hadn't used the tractor in 3 months. I love diesels and everything about them, except the exhaust, of the older one's at least. That to me is the only draw back of all the tractors on the market today.

As far as the exhaust note goes, no I don't think it made it louder, the engine itself still tends to make the most noise. Though, I did notice a slight increase in terms of the sound of the exhaust rushing out of the pipe, but nothing drastic at all. I thought it made it sound better in fact, but it's a sound you'll hear once and then not notice after that.

How do you open the hood with the stack on?

The stack comes off the exhaust elbow, (refer to pictures 5 & 6), that stick's up through the hood. Also on the bottom of the exhaust pipe, there are 4 slots that fit over a tab, (refer to picture 5, on the side of the elbow), that enables the stack to be fixed at 4 positions in 90 degree increment's.

/ 3320 Vertical Exhaust Install (pics) #6  
I like that vertical exhaust. I had a 3720 and it would try to poison me with the exhaust fumes. Seemingly also, in cold weather the fumes would loiter in the operator's station and were quite noxious. I like the smell of diesel but have mild reactive airway disease and thus could not tolerate the strong diesel odor. This was one of my few significant complaints on the 3720, which I have now sold. I was concerned I could not fit the stack under a standard 6'8" garage door and this was my only reason for not going with it factory. Interestingly I just bought a 2320 tractor. It has exactly the same layout exhaust as did my 3720, but is indirect injected. I cannot discern any diesel smell except with startup, but every direct injected JD compact I have owned (4310, 3720 times 2 and 4520) had a real problem with strong exhaust fumes. Of these, the 3720 was by far the worst. The 595 I had and the current 2320 have none. Makes me wonder whether the direct injected diesel Yanmar's (and PowerTech's) are more problematic here.

John M

/ 3320 Vertical Exhaust Install (pics) #7  
How do you open the hood with the stack on?

You just pull it out with your hands, comes off with a little jerk-pull. It's fairly easy but on my 4720 it's a bit high and a little tricky to get leverage if you're standing on the ground unless you're 6'-5" or more. Heat-resistant gloves required if you have to remove it when engine is hot: it melted my neoprene gloves lol.

/ 3320 Vertical Exhaust Install (pics) #8  
P1010946.jpg

Sincerely, Dirt

I like that vertical exhaust. I had a 3720 and it would try to poison me with the exhaust fumes. Seemingly also, in cold weather the fumes would loiter in the operator's station and were quite noxious. I like the smell of diesel but have mild reactive airway disease and thus could not tolerate the strong diesel odor. This was one of my few significant complaints on the 3720, which I have now sold. I was concerned I could not fit the stack under a standard 6'8" garage door and this was my only reason for not going with it factory. Interestingly I just bought a 2320 tractor. It has exactly the same layout exhaust as did my 3720, but is indirect injected. I cannot discern any diesel smell except with startup, but every direct injected JD compact I have owned (4310, 3720 times 2 and 4520) had a real problem with strong exhaust fumes. Of these, the 3720 was by far the worst. The 595 I had and the current 2320 have none. Makes me wonder whether the direct injected diesel Yanmar's (and PowerTech's) are more problematic here.

John M

I can only speak for the 3320 as it's the only diesel tractor I have experience with, everything prior has been gas. Though I did drive a neighbors indirect injected 04' Massey 1428v and I still noticed the fumes, though not as much as the JD. The exhaust exited in a closer location to the driver and there weren't any obstruction's such as how the tires act as one on the JD. Where the exit of the pipe is can change your experience completely.

/ 3320 Vertical Exhaust Install (pics) #10  
WH401

What was the cost for the exhaust?