Cleaning the plastic hood question

/ Cleaning the plastic hood question #1  

09 X540

Tractor
JD X540 2009 model
What works best to clean the plastic hood on an new mower? The owner's manual said a non-abrasive wax but I wanted to ask what ya'll are using before I scratch my new hood up. I washed mine up today and waxed the metal but I thought I would get some input first before I messed with the plastic hood.

/ Cleaning the plastic hood question #2  
I love my John Deere lawn tractors. I own two. I wouldn't spend much time worrying about the hoods because, if they are like mine, they will break off in four or five years. When they were new I used car wax for clear coat finishes and it worked well. Be very careful opening them, supporting them all of the way open, every time. Once broken they are way too expensive to replace. Before anyone sticks me, yes it was my fault. Good luck, they are good machines.

/ Cleaning the plastic hood question #3  
What works best to clean the plastic hood on an new mower? The owner's manual said a non-abrasive wax but I wanted to ask what ya'll are using before I scratch my new hood up. I washed mine up today and waxed the metal but I thought I would get some input first before I messed with the plastic hood.

Welcome to TBN:D

My tractor and two mowers have plastic hoods, i wax them with Mothers liquid wax and use a soft pad.

I have never had that type of wax scratch my hoods, sometimes i put
ARMOR-ALL or SON OF A GUN on them also, and they do make a spray wax for plastic.

I use the armor-all or son of a gun on my rubicon also.

/ Cleaning the plastic hood question #4  
1st thing to remember is that since it is basically colored plastic, any scratch you imprint in to it is pretty much permanent.

That said, recently I did some detailing on the hood of my 3320 as a test to see what I could get the plastic to do. First I clayed the hood to remove any little bits of atmospheric trash and various particle matter stuck to the hood that regular washing wouldn't remove. You probably won't have to clay the hood as your machine is brand new and mine sat on the dealer lot for a while. Though, I would go ahead and clay it, that will give the wax a purely clean surface to bond to. I then used some of Meguiars new "NXT 2.0" car wax, let it haze, and polished it a nice shine.

Below I have included some of the best before and after shots I could come up with. I was pretty happy with what claying and wax did to the hood and once it warms up I will do the rest of the tractor. When you go to wax yours, any automotive clear coat safe wax that is either a paste, liquid or spray will work great.

Before:

After:
(In these shots it looks like the hood has no real shine in spots but that's just the angle of the picture. In real life I think it looks pretty good with a high amount of shine.)

I do the same thing with my gator as well, and it's over 5 years old, (it was brand new as opposed to used).:D

/ Cleaning the plastic hood question #5  
I found a great wax called Liquid Glass. It is a liquid wax that comes in a metal can and works very well. I use it on the HD and the tractor, it is too good of wax for the Chevy.

I blow my tractor off after every use and wash it 2-3 times a summer. I only wash it with the mower deck off because I like to let the deck completly dry around the spindles and seems to dry better at a angle. It helps to keep rust at bay. At the end of summer I clean the deck really well using a old toothbrush to get ALL the dirt off. My Tractor is 5 years old and looks new. When I sold my X495 I did well because it looked new. Just a couple of hints from a crazy man:)

WH401- that hood looks GREAT in the pictures!!!!

/ Cleaning the plastic hood question #7  
WH401

Could you explain what "clayed" means. I haven't heard that used before but would like to clean and wax the hood on my X595.

Thanks.

/ Cleaning the plastic hood question #8  
Clay is great stuff, it's available at any auto detailing center. Mother's is what I've used on my truck. Essentially it's just like it sounds, a lump of clay. The stuff on top of the paint gets stuck to it and lifts right off, it's great for sap and the like.
Here's a quick tutorial

/ Cleaning the plastic hood question #9  
jdbower

Thanks for the reply.

Curt.

P.S.: WH401 - Nice job on the hood, looks great.

/ Cleaning the plastic hood question #10  
I found a great wax called Liquid Glass. It is a liquid wax that comes in a metal can and works very well. I use it on the HD and the tractor, it is too good of wax for the Chevy.

I blow my tractor off after every use and wash it 2-3 times a summer. I only wash it with the mower deck off because I like to let the deck completly dry around the spindles and seems to dry better at a angle. It helps to keep rust at bay. At the end of summer I clean the deck really well using a old toothbrush to get ALL the dirt off. My Tractor is 5 years old and looks new. When I sold my X495 I did well because it looked new. Just a couple of hints from a crazy man:)

WH401- that hood looks GREAT in the pictures!!!!

I used to use liquid glass until I found collinites insulator wax.

Collinite Wax Products  :: Choice of the Pros :: Auto, Marine and Industrial

This is by far the best wax I have ever used. It goes on and comes off like nothing I have ever used. My buddy showed me it because his shoulders are blown out and he needed something that went on easy, came off easy, and lasted a long time. It costs about 18 dollars a pint shipped. I promise that if you try it you will love it!
insulator-new[1].jpg