Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 790 clutch...harsh engagement

I've had this tractor since new - 10 years now. Starting from a stop in 1 or 2 I can never get used to where it engages, causing a lurch. I use other tractors and usually can quickly get used to the quirks, but it's been 10 years with this one. The clutch engages near the top of the pedal travel. Anyone else have this happen?

Tractor
    John Deere 790

Default Re: 790 clutch...harsh engagement

You can adjust the engagement height. I broke a pedal return spring and used that opportunity to adjust but haven't liked it since. Seems it's a pain to get to. Somewhere under the LH floorboard.
    Rob
    John Deere 790, 70 FEL, 7 BH, 513 cutter and other fun stuff

Tractor
    JD 5075M; JD 110 TLB; Ford Ferguson 9N: JD X300R

Quote Originally Posted by greenie View Post
    I've had this tractor since new - 10 years now. Starting from a stop in 1 or 2 I can never get used to where it engages, causing a lurch. I use other tractors and usually can quickly get used to the quirks, but it's been 10 years with this one. The clutch engages near the top of the pedal travel. Anyone else have this happen?
    I had to adjust the clutch on my old JD 970, too. The clutch would engage at the top of the pedal travel and my foot (heel off of floorboard) would be in the air... grabbing all the time - real bad in low range.

My wife and youngest son wouldn't drive it for fear of it "jumping" into something!

After correcting for proper "free-play" it was much better. It wasn't more than a 10 minute job; as I recall. The owner's manual lays it out pretty well.

AKfish
    "Most people want to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it."

Tractor
    2001 John Deere 790 4x4, bar tires

Quote Originally Posted by AKfish View Post
    I had to adjust the clutch on my old JD 970, too. The clutch would engage at the top of the pedal travel and my foot (heel off of floorboard) would be in the air... grabbing all the time - real bad in low range.

My wife and youngest son wouldn't drive it for fear of it "jumping" into something!

After correcting for proper "free-play" it was much better. It wasn't more than a 10 minute job; as I recall. The owner's manual lays it out pretty well.

AKfish
    You know, I have this SAME issue with the 790 I bought last year! After a while I began thinking maybe the previous owner had worn the clutch out in it because it grabbed at the very top of the pedal travel. And yes, it's very easy to make it jump, no matter how hard you try not too. Thanks for the tip though, I will definitely check the adjustment on mine and see if I can move the point of engagement closer to the middle of the pedal travel.
    Keith
    Nothing could be finer than riding my JD790 in South Carolina!!

2001 John Deere 790 4x4 with Model 70 FEL, 5ft International World Agritech bush hog, 5ft Wallberg BB, 5ft Frontier disc harrow, 5ft King Kutter II Rototiller, 5ft Cultipacker, 5ft Sitrex finish mower, Leinbach PHD with 9" & 12" augers, Leinbach middlebuster, Leinbach #11 Field Cultivator, boom pole, custom 3pt handi-hitch, clamp on bucket forks, Pat's Easy Change.

Nothing runs like a Deere, or smells like a John....

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Deere 3005

Quote Originally Posted by AKfish View Post

AKfish
    Does making this adjustment change the point in the pedal travel where the PTO engages? I would hate to make it so the transmission and PTO engagement points are so close that it becomes trickier.

Tractor
    John Deere 790

Good question Tom. As I think about it, I don't think it will affect it as you're only adjusting the free play in the pedal itself. What might happen if you over-adjust is the drive clutch won't fully disengage but you'd have to be pretty far off for that to happen.

Just to be sure, I checked my parts manual and on the dual clutch model there is only one link from the pedal to the cross-shaft. The adjustment is in this link so there shouldn't be any issues with PTO vs. drive clutch engagement.
    Rob

Tractor
    JD790

From the shop manual:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 790 clutch...harsh engagement-clutchadjustment.jpg  

Tractor
    John Deere 790

Is it just me, or does it seem like no one of us has all the various manuals, but between all of us we can handle about anything!

Good pic Gypsy Rose...
    Rob

The plastic shroud near the clutch (and surrounds the shifter) needs to be removed. The adjustment was pretty close so I tried moving the linkage road to the further position on the clutch arm. The clutch engagement is slightly more controllable with the linkage in the outer hole.
    The clutch adjustment is limited because as you move the engagement down lower on the pedal's travel, the PTO clutch never fully disengages.
    The adjustment (using the other position on the clutch lever) makes the tractor a little easier to start from a stop.

Tractor
    2001 John Deere 790 4x4, bar tires

greenie, just to be clear the outer hole you refer to is the one at the end (or top) of the lever?? Thanks....
    Keith
    Nothing could be finer than riding my JD790 in South Carolina!!

2001 John Deere 790 4x4 with Model 70 FEL, 5ft International World Agritech bush hog, 5ft Wallberg BB, 5ft Frontier disc harrow, 5ft King Kutter II Rototiller, 5ft Cultipacker, 5ft Sitrex finish mower, Leinbach PHD with 9" & 12" augers, Leinbach middlebuster, Leinbach #11 Field Cultivator, boom pole, custom 3pt handi-hitch, clamp on bucket forks, Pat's Easy Change.

Nothing runs like a Deere, or smells like a John....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast