2005 990 Question

/ 2005 990 Question #1  

Kyle-990-GX255

Tractor
2005 JD 990 and GX255
Good morning,
I have a 2005 JD 990 with 375 hours. I'm the original owner and take good care of this machine. For the past year I have noticed a small puddle of fluids under the split case flange area. Local dealership says it's oil leaking past the rear main crank seal. I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience with a 990 and if I could get an idea of how extensive (hours involved) it is to split the case and fix. Thank you. -Kyle

/ 2005 990 Question #2  
Good morning,
I have a 2005 JD 990 with 375 hours. I'm the original owner and take good care of this machine. For the past year I have noticed a small puddle of fluids under the split case flange area. Local dealership says it's oil leaking past the rear main crank seal. I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience with a 990 and if I could get an idea of how extensive (hours involved) it is to split the case and fix. Thank you. -Kyle

Good evening, Kyle. Welcome to TBN. Good place to pull up a chair and spend some time..

This is a fairly big repair. Your dealer can give you a pretty straightforward estimate of the man-hours to fix things. If I were doing the work - I'd likely have to increase that figure by 50 - 100%. The last time I worked on splitting a tractor was to replace the clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing on my uncle's IH 560 tractor. A few years ago...

You got a good shop? Nice concrete floor? Overhead chain hoist? Couple of good hydraulic floor jacks? Good set of 1/2" drive metric sockets and box-end wrenches? The Technical Repair Manual for the JD 990? And some good blocking material - 6"x8" wood blocks, etc.? You may need some specialized tools as well. Like a pilot shaft to get the 2 clutches lined up with the transmission. And maybe a tool to remove/replace the seal from the crankshaft.

If you're pretty handy and/or have some level of mechanical experience - this isn't anything overly complex - but you need to be a little savy.

That said; don't put this off too long - cause the oil that's leaking on the ground will eventually end up fouling your clutches and pressure plate. With only 375 hours - that's a replacement/repair that you wouldn't normally have to consider before 2,500 - 3,000 hours with sensible use.

Best of luck.

AKfish

/ 2005 990 Question #3  
Talk to your dealer and ask him to call Deere about this problem. Deere may share in the cost of this repair even though it is out of warranty. This should have been done when the leak first appeared.

AK is right this isn't a repair for the unequipped and inexperienced.

Steve

/ 2005 990 Question
AKfish, Steve:
Thanks very much for your replies and for welcoming me as a new member.
Yes I do have a heated shop with concrete floor and all the tools. BUT I don't have enough rigging/stantions to confidently seperate the tractor and most importantly re-assembly without room for error. So to status you: The 990 went to the local dealership yesterday morning and it's undergoing surgery right now. $21.99 rear main seal and 8 hours of labor.