Just trying to learn

/ Just trying to learn #1  

carolinadozer

Tractor
John deere 2440
I'm a beginner at both farming and vegetable growing and am completely overwhelmed by both. My tractor is a John Deere 2440 and I have about 20 acres of fields to tend in the central part of NC. No real pressure to succeed, but would really like to grow vegetables to help friends, family, and community in what appears to be ever tougher times. A friend w/ a good deal of farming experience was helping, but has left the area in search of work. With a disc and a cultivator(which I know nothing about setting up), I hope to plant around 3 acres of vegetables and 4 acres of watermelon and cantaloupes. If nothing grows, I lose nothing but time, seed and a little seed. Anybody with any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated!! Best of luck to all this season.

/ Just trying to learn #2  
Welcome to TBN:D

There are lots of threads in the "attachments" forum about those implements if you want to search around-otherwise it would be best to ask specific questions about them there as it will get more views than here.

/ Just trying to learn #3  
Welcome to tbn. Carolinadozer.Sound like a caring person wish you well with
your new garden.You can get a lot of information here if you give more information on soil,plants,equipment.Try search at the top it will guide you
to almost every thing about gardening. Good luck. Framer

/ Just trying to learn #4  
I'm a beginner at both farming and vegetable growing and am completely overwhelmed by both. My tractor is a John Deere 2440 and I have about 20 acres of fields to tend in the central part of NC. No real pressure to succeed, but would really like to grow vegetables to help friends, family, and community in what appears to be ever tougher times. A friend w/ a good deal of farming experience was helping, but has left the area in search of work. With a disc and a cultivator(which I know nothing about setting up),First thing you do is hook those two implements up to your tractor and go to a field where you can experiment. Drop them into the ground and pull the throttle back and go....see what they do and how they do it. Then get off the tractor and walk back around and observe and see what the ground is like after you have made a pass. I hope to plant around 3 acres of vegetables and 4 acres of watermelon and cantaloupes. Recommendation here, your heart is in the right place but unless you have some help and are adept at handling a hoe....you might not be so ambitious with your acreage. Might just start out with a quarter of an acre and see what it takes to keep up with things. If nothing grows, I lose nothing but time, seed and a little seed. Anybody with any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated!! Best of luck to all this season.

Fairly good rule of thumb until you get more "knowledge." Most seeds can be planted depth wise about twice their largest point. Carrot seed, a quarter of an inch or less....corn seed about an inch to an inch and a half....but always in moist soil....etc.

Plant, watch and wait, see what you get.....if you fail....back up ten yards and punt. But the best way to learn is get dirt under your fingernails. Sometimes if you ask questions here, you will get every self professed expert on every subject offering you advice. You know they all like to be noticed. So in conclusion....JUST DO IT! You will win and you will lose but YOU WILL DO. That is the most important part......oh yes and invest in a bunch of hoes. One for you and then one for each of your friends and family so they can come and help you hoe weeds. :D

/ Just trying to learn
Thanks for all the input. I have been searching and reading as much as possible, and I have gotten more useful info here than anywhere and really just wanted to get started with an initial "introduction". Realizing that specific questions about specific needs will get me further, I find myself having a hard time thinking of the right questions to ask due to my lack of knowledge of equipment. Just learning impliment names and uses is difficult enough. Then add a, new-to-me, John Deere 2440 tractor and I have found myself a little overwhelmed. If it ever stops raining long enough, I do look forward to some trial and error learning. Thanks again

/ Just trying to learn #6  
With a disc and a cultivator(which I know nothing about setting up),

I hope to plant around 3 acres of vegetables and 4 acres of watermelon and cantaloupes.

If nothing grows, I lose nothing but time, seed and a little seed. Anybody with any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated!! Best of luck to all this season.

Welcome to TBN!

You can find just about everything you need in the attachments, and you can "search" a lot of info. too.

(You can search the "web" on everything that your going to plant.)

3 to 4 acres is a lot of time planting and that will take a lot of seed, and seed isn't cheap...hope you can get some information and hope you don't lose much seed.

Good luck!

/ Just trying to learn #7  
Thanks for all the input. I have been searching and reading as much as possible, and I have gotten more useful info here than anywhere.

You will get the best info. only at TBN:D

/ Just trying to learn #8  
Check out (Temporarily blocked due to reports of company closure) Implement demos, set up, how to use.

/ Just trying to learn #9  
First of all welcome to TBN:D

The 2440 is a good size tractor for your acreage at 60 hp and their are lots of implements that will fit your needs.

I agree with Warren F above, if gardening is a new adventure start much smaller, a one acre garden done right is a big laborous undertaking. As far as the learning process the easiest way to solve your problem is to find someone close to you who is a successful gardener to give you some pointers. Most people are glad to help and you may be able to help them in return. As an example I tilled my attorneys garden plot for him and his caretaker, in return I get vegetables picked and bagged all summer. Since I am no expert in gardening I plan on spending some time with this caretaker this year.

Steve

/ Just trying to learn #10  
Welcome to TBN.
Wishing you the very best on your new hobby.
Great advice been giving,and feel free to ask any questions...we're all in this together. :)