Ballast Rear wheel weights...

/ Rear wheel weights... #1  

jd670

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 3320 - gator cx - JD 425
do you have to turn your rear tires around so the valve stem is on the inside to bolt the weights to the rim? Looking to get some for my 3320.

/ Rear wheel weights... #2  
I don't think the weights will interfere with the valve stem. There are 55 lb and 110lb available for the compact tractors.

/ Rear wheel weights... #3  
What wheels & tires you got?
I have the large R4's on my 3520 and the weights do NOT interfere with the valve stem.
When I got mine, the dealer told me that on the large R4 rims, only the 55lb weights work...the 55lb weights are also "Starter" weights, so if you want the 110's you'll need one of the 55's to start....
Apparently they found out the hard way..I think I was one of the first with this wheel combo to get wheel Iron because I'm not a fan of liquid ballast.

/ Rear wheel weights...
I have th 19.5 R4's. I put one of the weights up to the rim and if I use just one per wheel, it doesn't look like it will mess with the valve stem. If I go with two per side, then it looks like it will hit the stem. My dealer wasn't sure if i would have to flip the tires or not. He said that there is a spacer kit that comes with the mounting hardware. I just ordered the hardware kit today. Wait and see what happens I guess. If I flip the rims out, won't I gain a inch or two of width in the rear?

/ Rear wheel weights... #5  
I've got 2 weights per side, no issues...I could get 3 per side no problem and probably even 4....and mine are dealer installed with all the correct hardware.
Your right though, you would gain an inch or two of width by flipping them around, but IMO the valvestem on the inside could be a major PITA..If I go wider, I'm gonna go with the spacer solution.

/ Rear wheel weights... #6  
I'm new to tractoring,so I have to ask: in what situations do you need the wheel weights. I have a 5203 JD, plan to harrow, bush hog, boxblade, etc. No FEL as yet, plan to add in a few months.

/ Rear wheel weights... #7  
Wheel weights usually help out anytime you are using a ground engaging implement, such as a bottom plow or a shank plow. When your rear tires start spinning, then they are losing traction and wheel weights (or tire ballast) usally will help the situation by getting more traction. Of course, once you get stuck, then all that extra weight is bad for you!!! :( The two things that make a tractor work are weight, and horsepower. You need both in the right proportions to maximize the work a particular size tractor can perform.

Welcome to Tractor bynet, btw! I'm in Lexington, SC not too far from you.
Keith

/ Rear wheel weights... #8  
I'm new to tractoring,so I have to ask: in what situations do you need the wheel weights. I have a 5203 JD, plan to harrow, bush hog, boxblade, etc. No FEL as yet, plan to add in a few months.

Both wheel weights and tire ballast help with traction. The big advantage is added stability with the weight lower to the ground. Ballast cost about half of what wheel weights cost with the draw back of can not remove easily. Wheel weights can easily be added or removed as needed but high cost per lbs. All of the 5000 series tractors have a high HP to weight ratio and need weight or ballast for added traction and stability. They have been noted to be light in the rear tire for their HP.

I have a 5203 JD/522 loader, with 500 lbs of tire ballast. With my Frontier BB1284 scraper on the 3 pt I have picked up 3500+ lbs rocks with my Bodozer grapple. Even with out the box scraper on the back it will lift over a ton with out getting so light I would need 4WD to keep wheel spin down.

If your finding that your in situations where you need 4WD all the time to control wheel spin. You need weight or ballast.

/ Rear wheel weights... #9  
What wheels & tires you got?
I have the large R4's on my 3520 and the weights do NOT interfere with the valve stem.
When I got mine, the dealer told me that on the large R4 rims, only the 55lb weights work...the 55lb weights are also "Starter" weights, so if you want the 110's you'll need one of the 55's to start....
Apparently they found out the hard way..I think I was one of the first with this wheel combo to get wheel Iron because
*I'm not a fan of liquid ballast.
*Nother is I