john deere 855 72" deck

/ john deere 855 72" deck #1  

kccowman

I have a 855 with a 60" deck on it. I bought a 72" model 297 deck to put on my tractor. It came with the front arms and all the necessary hardware. I put the deck under my tractor and the back fits perfect. The proble is the front arms are to long. They won't fit in the bracket on the tractor. I went to my dealer and they only show one part number for the arms. thie 72" deck is a good 3" further forward then my 60". Something has to be different for this to work on my tractor. Does anyone have a 72" on there 855, if so how long are the front arms. thanks

/ john deere 855 72" deck #2  
one quick thing I saw was the different part number for the rear clevis for the arms - could they be different lengths??

this may take some reading on your part as some dealers can't or won't spend the time to work this out!

here's you a link to where you can down load a PDF file of your mower deck, be sure to compare the serial numbers at the top of the pages with your complete number

link to complete parts book
Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire

855deckbrackets0001.jpg

/ john deere 855 72" deck
We saw that part number is different. I thought the 855 and 955 shared the same frame. If so way would they use a different clavis end. If I put on my 60" deck and mark where the front deck connection is , then put on my 72" the 72" is a least 3 inches further forward then the 60". I can't see how the same arms will work on both decks.,

/ john deere 855 72" deck #4  
just guessing, but maybe there was a positioning issue with the larger tires available for the 955, hard to tell, second guessing a Deere engineer is a waste of good energy.

/ john deere 855 72" deck #5  
Not familiar with these decks but is there any possibility you can buy two new rods and cut them down three inches to make up the difference?

Steve

I have 2 sets of the arms. Cutting one set to fit is what I will do when I can't figure out any other solution. I just fill like there should be a way to hock this up without cutting anything. I found a 955 on a dealers lot with a 72" under it. Next week I any going to go look at it and take my tape measure with me and see what is different.

/ john deere 855 72" deck #7  
Thanks for posting in my thread kccowman, I responded there.

trailhunter

/ john deere 855 72" deck #8  
Ok, I measured 3 different ways.

Now remember you have to compensate for the thread usage, so these are not totally accurate lengths.

First thing I measured was, center hole to center hole: 20 3/4 inches.

The following pics (sorry about quality, it is a cell phone pic) show how I measured them.

First two are from outside edge to outside edge. about 22 1/4 inches.

0401091748.jpg

0401091748a.jpg

Next is the full length pic of the above measurement.

0401091746.jpg

Next pic is of the measurement down the length of rod around the curves and up to the end. Approximately 24 inches.

0401091750.jpg

Hope this helps you out, and if you need any more help just let me know.

Trailhunter

/ john deere 855 72" deck #9  
I also have some measurements for the mid frame on tractor to rear deck arms.

They are 24 inches also.

0401091753a.jpg

0401091753.jpg

Thanks for the measurements. I have the front arm off and It measures 1 inch longer then yours. Go figure! I don't know about the back arm I will measure it tonight. Your deck must be a differnet model number. On the serial number on your deck what model number is it. Mine is a 297. Thanks for all the info. Dale