2305 MMM Hydraulic lift

/ 2305 MMM Hydraulic lift #1  

raykos

Silver Member
Tractor
JD2305
Hi all,

When I bought my JD2305 the MMM hydraulic lift was an optional kit, and unfortunately I was the first one the dealer ever installed; had a H---of time with it. Anyhow, since then, I've seen a couple of posts mentioning a "diverter valve" when talking about the MMM lift. Does anybody have any source of literature, pictures, links, etc. of this diverter valve and whether or not I should even think about installing it. Sounds as if JD has made some changes/improvements since I bought my 2305?

Thanks,
Ray

/ 2305 MMM Hydraulic lift #2  
Prince Hydraulics makes the one I purchsed from Northern Tools. Having to switch the hoses when removing the mower deck was the one and only thing I did not like about my 2520. With the diverter valve installed, I am 100% happy.

Prince Hydraulics has a web site were you can look at the manuals for the valves they offer.

/ 2305 MMM Hydraulic lift #3  
JD sells a manual valve, thought about buying one for my Hydrloic Top Link can't get the parts page to paint or I would give you the part #, IIRC the control lever ends up near the 4wd lever. why did you get the indpendent lift? bagger? do you mow with the loader on?

Part number appears to be LVB25822
Chris

/ 2305 MMM Hydraulic lift
Thanks for the responses, do appreciate them, especially when I learn something new, i.e. what a "diverter valve" is. Prince calls it a "selector valve", which kind of makes more sense than "diverter".

YASH2520:
Yep, agree with you about swapping hoses. At first it's no big deal, but it does get to be bothersome.

ChrsDrn:
Nope, don't mow with the FEL on, but it could be done. Don't bag my clippings, changed to "Gator Blades", and those things really work for me. Primary reason(s) for getting the lift was rocks. I swear from season to season my yard grows unexpected rocks! And it's nice to quickly raise the deck when in doubt about what I'm mowing over. Especially in early Spring when there are some big oak leaves left over that, (believe it or not), can look like rocks. Another thing is weeds; there are sections that I haven't gotten around to turning into yard yet, but still needs mowed; thats where I'll mow with the deck raised high until I find out if there's any rocks that sprouted up over the Winter.

Another thought I'm having about this valve, it may stop the deck from creeping down because it should keep pressure in the line? I leave my deck on all Summer; that sucker is heavy, requires a really level place to roll it out and in, and connecting to the PTO can really be a PIA! Unfortunately, JD didn't make a roll on deck for the 2305.

/ 2305 MMM Hydraulic lift #5  
Raykos,

I got the optional diverter valve kit with my 2305 and it was also the first one my dealer had installed. Unfortunately, the brainiac who did the work installed the hydraulic lines backwards and also sloppily ran them right next to the pedal linkage for forward/reverse. This subsequently ate away at the hose jacket and also destroyed a linkage pivot bushing and associated hardware. I discovered it because I was noticing over time that it was getting harder and harder to step on the 'forward' pedal. I got under the machine and there it was so I removed everything and started over again. I'm supposed to bring it back to the dealer to have the linkage and hose fixed, but I'm afraid to let them touch it.

Anyway, in retrospect, I wish I hadn't gotten it. I never put the bucket on the tractor when the mowing deck is installed and vice versa. It's just been an unnecessary complication.

Last, it does nothing whatsoever to keep the mowing deck raised. If you look under the left side of the tractor, you'll see the cylinder that raises the mowing deck. You'll also notice a big long spring attached to it. That spring forces the deck downward without active hydraulic pressure against it. At first, I thought something was wrong with my machine because it would creep down as soon as I shut the engine down. I asked the dealer about it and they told me it was correct. If you want the deck to stay up, you have to rotate the height adjustment knob to the Lock position. That is what I do.

Attachments

• 2305 diverter valve kit.gif
    2305 diverter valve kit.gif
    32.6 KB · Views: 1,934
  • 480256_lvb25822.jpg
    480256_lvb25822.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 853
  • 480257_lvb25822_2.jpg
    480257_lvb25822_2.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 561
  • lvb24822_knob_r.jpg
    lvb24822_knob_r.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 1,167
  • lvb24822_valve_r.jpg
    lvb24822_valve_r.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 1,115
   / 2305 MMM Hydraulic lift
ensoll:

Thanks for the response, drawings, and pictures. I called my dealer about this modification and he said the cost of the kit was $350...so, I ordered the valve on line from somebody else. Don't know what else I'll need but since hydraulics is new to me, I'm waiting until the valve comes in before I order anything more. As I mentioned, getting that deck on & off can sometimes be a real PIA and that's why I leave it on; unless I'm going to be doing some work that could possibly damage the deck. As far as the deck creeping down, I went to one of the John Deere sites under FAQ, and it appears that the creeping down is a nuisance to a lot of owners. What bothered me was the tone of the response. It was almost like, "that's the way it is, deal with it." One of the reasons this bothered me is after reading some of posts regarding members and some of the problems they've had with either the dealer,(like yourself) or JD; it's almost as if the attitude of John Deere is changing? If I can believe my dealer(and I think I can), he has said that he and other dealers have told JD to visit sites like TBN, but they don't seem to want to...that attitude again?

And, like you mentioned, I do raise it and try to put it in the lock position. And, when it comes time to mow, I have to readjust the height again. So, what's the big deal, just set it to where it was. Wrong, I can't because the decal with the settings on is no longer glued down and I have no idea where any setting is...have to guess! So, I looked at the parts diagram, thinking I could use the "steps" of the height adjust to determine where to re-glue the decal, nope, have to many things in the way, can't really see. Just another example of "minor" faults with today's JD, but I'm worried about how quickly "minor" things can lead to major disasters. Wonder if we're going to be bailing out another company soon?

/ 2305 MMM Hydraulic lift #7  
I can appreciate wanting to leave the deck on the tractor even if it's not my personal preference. I wouldn't dare have the mower deck on my tractor when I'm doing bucket work, especially since I have the mulching kit installed. It would get trashed.

I've found that putting the deck on and taking it off is not that much of a nuisance. I just park the tractor on a flat area of the driveway, unhook and roll the deck out to the side, do whatever other work there is to be done, roll it back under and hook it back up. It's a 5 minute job. The key is the flat and smooth/clean pavement.

And yes, laying down to put the PTO shaft back on is a pain, but it's not all that bad. After all, we are talking about a SubCUT so it's not reasonable to expect absolute convenience. JD is trying to pack 10 pounds of 'it' into a 5 pound bag for us so try to keep it in perspective.

Every time I find myself getting frustrated with something on the machine, I just remember that it is replacing a lot of other machinery (mower, snowblower, soil worker, etc) and I can even drive it right into the loft of my barn. Anything heavier and I wouldn't dare. It's a compromise. Sometimes the compromise can be a little painful. How about this, imagine life without it. Yikes!:)

/ 2305 MMM Hydraulic lift #8  
Have you tried the standerd 3 point lift before the indpendent lift? when the salesman described the indpendent lift I knew that is what I wanted but as a cost savings i got the three point. I like it works fine
Chris

/ 2305 MMM Hydraulic lift #9  
Hi:

1. I used the mechanical lift for the deck on my 2305 for years - It works well and I had no issues with it.

2. I had the diverter valve and Hydraulic lift put on only so I could mow with my Woods BH6000 on the back of the 2305. I technically didn't need the diverter valve but since I was getting the Independent MMM lift put on I had the diverter valve installed too. It works well and I've had no issues with the diverter valve install. Harvest Equipment up in VT installed mine. I would have preferred a 3rd SCV in a heartbeat but it wasn't offered. I'd love to have a grapple line but I suppose the loader on the 05 is too small. If I put my 650lb 72" grapple from my 3720 on it (it would fit) it would barely lift the grapple ;).

Anyway, I've had a good experience with the diverter valve - I've had it about a year.