Leave it running?

/ Leave it running? #1  

GreatWhitehunter

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 110 TLB
I know I've seen this topic discussed here before. What's the consensus on leaving you tractor idling while doing other task? I'm frequently on and off my tractor especially this time of year with fall clean ups and I don't usually leave the tractor running. But I know it's not the best idea for a diesel engine to be started and stopped tons of times. I just feel that idling runs up the hours and maintenance frequence. My machine is now turbo so no worries of coking the vanes while at idle. So let me have it all opinions and POV's are welcome.

Matt;)

/ Leave it running? #2  
Save your diesel fuel. I do pick-up and delivery with semi and we shut them off at each stop. The trucks average 1.3 million miles b-4 large failures. Detroit diesels

/ Leave it running? #3  
I have a few thoughts on this...

1. If I am hopping off for less than 5 min.. Leave it running..
2. If I am going to be off for more than 5-10 min cut it off..
3. If it is below freezing and I am going to be off the tractor for less than 20 min leave it running..
4. If really hot-- more than 15 min shut it off

It takes time to recirculate the fluids and I remember reading somewhere on here about alot of starts in a short while..

Anyway, I would base it on how long your going to be off and the weather...

Cold weather warmup and shutoff time is a big deal..
and the converse for summer-- if over 100 I'd shut if off --- BUT I have a radiator... so it will cool off better running than sitting there- at least I think so...

Later,
J

/ Leave it running? #4  
I agree with RadarTech. Just remember in Warm weather let the engine run at idle for 3-5 mins. before shutting down if its been running at operating temps and in cold weather a diesel doesn't make much heat to stay warm under 1000rpm. I usually leave my Diesels running if going to be of the tractor for up to 15-mins in warm weather and most always leave it running at about 1200rpm in cold weather even up too 30-mins., Most of these modern tractors only sip fuel when idling.

David

/ Leave it running? #5  
I agree with radar and dsgr.... Although, I doubt I would ever let it run a half hour. 15 minutes is about my max no matter the weather.

/ Leave it running? #6  
Turbo engines need the 3 min idle to let the turbo temp stabilize. Shutting down immediately after a period of high speed operation makes the oil in the turbo actually boil.

There is an aftermarket item that has a container that is full of oil w/ a valve designed to oil the turbo on startup until the engine oil pump can supply pressure that extends turbo life. Turbo shafts turn as fast as 300,000 rpm hence the reason they need to idle to cool down.

Normally aspirated diesels don't need to idle though I would let it return to idle b/4 shutting down.

/ Leave it running? #7  
I did leave mine running one day while I went to the store, and knew I would be gone for several hours. I had just spent 3 weeks trying to get it running and wasn't about to shut it down till I was thru with the work I had been putting off. Plus the starter was acting up and I didn't want to chance it. Other than that, I tend to kill it when getting off, if doing other tasks.
David from jax

/ Leave it running? #8  
sorry to post an often thread reply--

NMU98 -- I really hope you got that pic with a zoom lens!
that bird looks mean!

J

/ Leave it running? #9  
For normal running around and waiting I'll run it at about 1500 rpm. If I'm just getting off and right back on then I'll leave it running. If I'm getting off for more than a minute then I'll shut it off, there's no sense in breathing those fumes.

/ Leave it running? #10  
I would say mostly shut it down. If I get off a tractor, it's usually very short which I leave it running, or longer which I shut it down. What do you guys do for 10 minutes when you get off? I usually jump off to get something out of the way while mowing, or hook a chain to something. Other than those quick stops, I usually shut 'er down.