47" snowblower cv joint 2305

/ 47" snowblower cv joint 2305 #1  

Dale1995

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 2320
I just got off the phone with my local john deere dealer, and was complaining that my front shaft that connects the snowblower to the pto has alot of noise and play in it. I was going to try to change or retrofit it to a cv joint. He tells me that john deere had come out with a replacement front shaft that now has a cv joint instead of a universal joint. Does anyone out there have this set-up? I am wondering if I can use some of this shaft to retrofit to my tractor. I will be interested in hearing what you have heard or seen. Any pictures would be great. Whats your scoop on this subject....I am ready to take off my blower and want to get it ready for next season:)

/ 47" snowblower cv joint 2305 #2  
There was a post here awhile ago on this very subject, hopefully someone will chime in. Apparently the addition of a CV solves the problem. I was interested in the subject as I am shopping for one of these blowers for my 2210.

/ 47" snowblower cv joint 2305
I just got off the phone with my local john deere dealer, and was complaining that my front shaft that connects the snowblower to the pto has alot of noise and play in it. I was going to try to change or retrofit it to a cv joint. He tells me that john deere had come out with a replacement front shaft that now has a cv joint instead of a universal joint. Does anyone out there have this set-up? I am wondering if I can use some of this shaft to retrofit to my tractor. I will be interested in hearing what you have heard or seen. Any pictures would be great. Whats your scoop on this subject....I am ready to take off my blower and want to get it ready for next season:)
I just visisted my Local dealer to take a look at the new cv shaft for front mount 47"blowers. Thought that maybe I could retrofit the shaft components to fit my 2350....but no such luck. This fits on 2305 and maybe the other models like the 2210. check it out at your local dealer....now if only I could find somewheres to buy cv joints/parts to redue my shaft.

/ 47" snowblower cv joint 2305 #4  
Here is what JD calls the "Front Drive and Reinforcement Kit":

MP34901________UN11AUG04.gif

Part number 7 is a hydraulic hose, not a shaft.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Apparently they may really have come out with a new setup because here is the "Front PTO Kit (SN-XXXXXX)".....

MP34893________UN10AUG04.gif

.....And here is the "Front PTO Kit (SN XXXXXX-)"

MP42080________UN02FEB09.gif

Note the "(SN -XXXXXX-)" because perhaps they haven't defined the serial number cutoff yet, or so it would seem. I can't say I quite understand how this is supposed to replace the older kit unless that joint is intended to run between the two flanged bearings somehow.

I have the 'older' universal setup so I don't know anything more about the CV system. I did notice this past season that the long PTO shaft running under the tractor was wobbling a bit but I checked all the joints and it was solid.

Anyway, I hope this helps somehow.

/ 47" snowblower cv joint 2305 #5  
The mid shaft wobbles because the U joint binds due to the pitch of the shaft going under the front axle. I replaced mine with a cv joint from a small car. I have run this setup for 2 full winters now and it made a tremendous difference on the vibration issue. The front shaft is still pretty noisy and I plan on changing that U joint to a cv joint this summer.

I had a friend do the machining and I did the other work myself. The total cost of the bearing, cv joint and bracket was under $100.00

Attachments

• 91047d1197215955-2210-snowblower-vibration-dsc00827.jpg
    91047d1197215955-2210-snowblower-vibration-dsc00827.jpg
    875.1 KB · Views: 5,368
  • 91046d1197215933-2210-snowblower-vibration-dsc00826.jpg
    91046d1197215933-2210-snowblower-vibration-dsc00826.jpg
    857.8 KB · Views: 11,143
   / 47" snowblower cv joint 2305 #6  
The mid shaft wobbles because the U joint binds due to the pitch of the shaft going under the front axle. I replaced mine with a cv joint from a small car. I have run this setup for 2 full winters now and it made a tremendous difference on the vibration issue. The front shaft is still pretty noisy and I plan on changing that U joint to a cv joint this summer.

I had a friend do the machining and I did the other work myself. The total cost of the bearing, cv joint and bracket was under $100.00

I think I would send my shaft to Labrat and pay him to fix it. Labrat are you up for some extra work??

/ 47" snowblower cv joint 2305
Well good news today! I decided to remove my snowblower and check things out before I powerwashed everything. I finally found out what was making all the noise this winter whenever I lifted my blower all the way. I thought is was due to excessive shaft angle all along, but what was really going on was the front shaft connecting the snowblower to the tractor was actually too long! The square shaft of the drive shaft that slides inside the tube was deadheading onto the universal joint when I would elevate the blower, it was tearing or wearing off the corners of the shaft and wearing out the universal joint. So off I went to my local JD dealer and ploped the driveshaft on the counter, the guys said we can fix that by cutting off 3/4 of an inch of the square shaft, to which I responded and said I don't think so, Its on warrantee and I want a new complete shaft and will shorten it when I get the new one...I will certainely check this one out very carefully. Goes to show you that dealership set-up and service isn't always the greatest. When asked why this wasn't checked to see if it was an issue, the service manager replied that that shaft fits about 30 models and how should he know it was going to interfere? To that I replied" Isn't that your job to know those things". So if any one else has a similiar problem check to make sure the driveline isn't too tight when extended all the way......Have a good easter everyone.:D

/ 47" snowblower cv joint 2305 #8  
Well good news today! I decided to remove my snowblower and check things out before I powerwashed everything. I finally found out what was making all the noise this winter whenever I lifted my blower all the way. I thought is was due to excessive shaft angle all along, but what was really going on was the front shaft connecting the snowblower to the tractor was actually too long! The square shaft of the drive shaft that slides inside the tube was deadheading onto the universal joint when I would elevate the blower, it was tearing or wearing off the corners of the shaft and wearing out the universal joint. So off I went to my local JD dealer and ploped the driveshaft on the counter, the guys said we can fix that by cutting off 3/4 of an inch of the square shaft, to which I responded and said I don't think so, Its on warrantee and I want a new complete shaft and will shorten it when I get the new one...I will certainely check this one out very carefully. Goes to show you that dealership set-up and service isn't always the greatest. When asked why this wasn't checked to see if it was an issue, the service manager replied that that shaft fits about 30 models and how should he know it was going to interfere? To that I replied" Isn't that your job to know those things". So if any one else has a similiar problem check to make sure the driveline isn't too tight when extended all the way......Have a good easter everyone.:D

Don't modify the new shaft!!!! Have your dealer contact Deere Tech Support and verify which version (old of new) front quick hitch you have and then they will match up the proper front drive shaft and up stop. There is about an inch differance in the length of the hitch, most likely you don't have the proper length shaft.

/ 47" snowblower cv joint 2305 #9  
Apparently the 2210 and early 2305 used a mid PTO shaft with standard U joints (KIT # LVB 25397) which has now been superseeded to a later kit with a C/V type front joint (KIT # LBV 25966) to reduce shaft/joint vibration due to excessive joint angles. I assume some John Deere "wizard" can supply the exact cut off dates and application of the various parts.

/ 47" snowblower cv joint 2305 #10