JD Warranty Policy

/ JD Warranty Policy #1  

Acolar

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 3520 eHydro, Cab
If a customer needs warranty service on a JD will any dealer perform the work?

For example, if you purchase a machine out of state or move to a different state will your local JD dealer service the machine during the warranty period even though the machine was not purchased at the servicing dealer?

Thanks

/ JD Warranty Policy #2  
The dealers will do the work but they don't like it. I guess they don't get paid much, if anything, for warranty service so it's a loss for them. They'll do the work because they are hopefully getting a return customer.

At least that is what I was told by a JD dealer I spoke to recently.

/ JD Warranty Policy #3  
I use 3 different dealers, and I have never had an issue taking a tractor to a dealer where I did not buy it. For any large repair i use our Ag dealer, and i never buy from them since they are very high on prices.

If a dealer gives you crap about it, or a guilt trip, they are more than likely trying to "force" you into working with them in the future.

/ JD Warranty Policy #4  
I guess they don't get paid much, if anything, for warranty service so it's a loss for them.

ROFL! At least where I was previously employed (related field) Nothing could be farther from the truth. They get paid for their time & labor, and then some. IMO if a dealer could do JUST warranty work, I'm sure they would.

I know dealers around here even mail you postcards saying "Your warranty on your model XYZ is ending on whatever date" so call us and make an appointment to get it checked out if anything is going on...

If a dealer gives you crap, IMO thats a sign...what got me into a Deere over any other color is the local dealer treated me like a million dollar customer when I was getting parts & service help on a 20 year old machine I picked up off "the side of the road"...I figured if they treated me like that on a machine and person who "wasnt their problem" then they would surely treat me right on a new one. And they sure did and continue to do so.

/ JD Warranty Policy #5  
The dealers will do the work but they don't like it. I guess they don't get paid much, if anything, for warranty service so it's a loss for them. They'll do the work because they are hopefully getting a return customer.

At least that is what I was told by a JD dealer I spoke to recently.

I'd dump that dealer like a hot rock.

/ JD Warranty Policy #6  
Well, Acolar, it seems you've heard a couple of different points of view, opinions, impressions, whatever you want to call them. What do you say you check with your local dealer and report back what they tell you? I'd like to hear it myself.

/ JD Warranty Policy #7  
If not,what would the warrenty be worth?

Of course they have too.

/ JD Warranty Policy #8  
There have been hundreds of posts on this subject and the general concenus including that of many dealers who have posted is that dealers geberally loose money on waranty work.

Andy

/ JD Warranty Policy #9  
There have been hundreds of posts on this subject and the general concenus including that of many dealers who have posted is that dealers geberally loose money on waranty work.

Andy

I would have to respectfully disagree. The dealer doesn't lose money, if the tech is good, waranty work pays what it takes. If he isn't the technician looses $. What the dealer complains about is the dealer could make MORE $ by having the technician do easier and more productive customer pay work.

The dealer is not out actual $ to do waranty work. I suppose you could make the argument the dealer looses $ due to lower tech production. Which is why it is important they send their technicians to Deere school to keep up on all the new technolgy.

/ JD Warranty Policy #10  
I would have to respectfully disagree. The dealer doesn't lose money, if the tech is good, waranty work pays what it takes. If he isn't the technician looses $. What the dealer complains about is the dealer could make MORE $ by having the technician do easier and more productive customer pay work.

The dealer is not out actual $ to do waranty work. I suppose you could make the argument the dealer looses $ due to lower tech production. Which is why it is important they send their technicians to Deere school to keep up on all the new technolgy.

This seems sensible and fairly consistent with what that dealer told me. I remember him saying something about how dealers get paid a fixed amount for a given warranty repair from JD and that it usually doesn't cover their actual cost. I can see where he'd have left off the part about the work going to a less skilled technician.

As if I weren't scared enough already....!