How big a problem is this?

/ How big a problem is this? #1  

Kamik

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 2520
Hi Folks,

Was adding low viscosity hyguard back after draining the oil, cleaning the strainer and changing the hydro filter and accidentally put two glugs (less that 1/4 pint) of gear oil in by mistake. Darn, except for the labels those gallon jugs all look alike!

What should I do next, just drain it all out again, change the filter again, and add new hyguard, or are other measures in order?

Kamik

/ How big a problem is this? #2  
I don't know what tractor you have, but a quarter pint in 8 to 10 gallons of hydro fluid is no big deal.

/ How big a problem is this? #3  
I wouldn't worry about it either...

/ How big a problem is this?
Thanks, guys for your quick response. Based on your feedback I went ahead and started the engine. Transmission is very quiet, no whine at all.

O.K., now let's lower the 3-pt hitch - oh no it's not going down! After a moment of panic I remembered that the flow control is set for the post hole digger. A little weight helped it down and with the control it went right back up.

Now I'm brave enough to try moving the tractor forward and reverse. All is well, seems as good as before except no whine in high range. Rode it up and down the street a few times just to be sure it's O.K.

Re-attched the FEL, and all is well. by the way, the quick park works great on a flat surface. JD really engineered it well. Then I spent 30 minutes persuading the ballast box to go back on the 3-point hitch. Wow, what a PITA. A quick hitch is definitely next on my list of attachments!

Thank you, thank you, thank you for helping me out of what could have been a major crisis!

What a difference in sound new fluids make. Engine is much quieter and really purrs. Transmission no longer whines. And I feel the satisfaction of getting all the metal shavings and particles out of the hydraulics and front axle.

And thanks to the list for providing great instructions and photos for doing this 50 hour maintenance. Next time this job will be much easier and faster. Now it's time to RELAX!

Kamik

/ How big a problem is this? #5  
That gear oil will quite those whines down.

/ How big a problem is this? #6  
I don't know what tractor you have, but a quarter pint in 8 to 10 gallons of hydro fluid is no big deal.

definitely agree, sounds like the time, I was moving from one state to another and was planning to drive in the morning and accidentally put the windshield wiper fluid in the radiator reservoir!:eek: I did not put too much, but I was so scared:eek: I had really screwed up, but some of my more experienced neighbors calmed me down:(