john deere 4200

/ john deere 4200 #1  

kcaver

Tractor
john deere 4200/L130
tractor was working fine and then all of the sudden (hydrostatic) would not go forward or backward. 2 years ago I had this quy work on it and he showed me a really gunked up filter from transmission. I have drained the hyd fluid/transmission myself and pulled the screen out to clean. This is not the same as he showed me a couple of years ago. I hope cleaning the screen and putting in new fluid will fix the problem. any suggestions?

/ john deere 4200 #2  
Did you try it all gear ranges? Sometimes mine gets stuck in between ranges if I bump the lever. Just thought.

M.D.

/ john deere 4200
I did not try that, but I will, thanks.

/ john deere 4200 #4  
On my recently aquired used JD4200 it can be a little akward getting the range selector into the middle range. Of course I am not very familiar with it yet having only put maybe 15 hours on in usually low range mostly clearing snow.:D

/ john deere 4200 #5  
I leave mine in the middle range unless I'm doing ground engaging work. It is a pain to get back in the middle range on the first try.

M.D.

/ john deere 4200 #6  
Not typical to lose drive in both directions all at once. Check the following:
- oil level
- sump screen
- change spin on filter
- linkage from pedals to hydrostatic trans. (Get under and have someone actuate the pedals, you'll see if something is loose/disconnected)
After you have performed the above, do you have steering?
If yes, your pump is good and I would next focus on the charge pressure relief valve. if it is weak/failed/stuck open, you will lose drive.
-If you don't have steering, it is probably your pump.

That should keep you busy for a while, good luck.

P.S. Be certain the change the spin on filter on a regular basis because as designed when the filter clogs it bypasses oil around it right back into the system. This will feed dirty oil into all hydrostatic/hydraulic compoents and wear/fail them prematurely. I would change mine every 6 months. Cheap insurance.

/ john deere 4200
I do have steering, so that makes me feel better. I have new filter and cleaned the suction screen and getting ready to put it all back togerter. thanks for your help.

k

/ john deere 4200 #8  
So what was the outcome?