John Deere 2010 Bad??

/ John Deere 2010 Bad?? #1  

dgizmo1

Tractor
John deere 318, ym2000
Is the John deere really as bad as I have read on other sites? I have read on it and there are several people who said that htye would not own one, but several others who said that they would not own anything else. If they are that bad what is exactly wrong with them? I am looking at a jd2010 gas model right now for $3000, should I look for somthing else or what.
Thanks in advance.

/ John Deere 2010 Bad?? #2  
There really isn't a bad tractor out there,what makes a tractor bad would be the way the owner took care of the tractor thru the years.

If your not sure have a good friend etc.. who knows tractors also check out the JD2010 for problems or up coming troubles.

/ John Deere 2010 Bad?? #3  
We had a 2010 about 20 years ago and sold it to settle estate matters. The tractor ran fine for me but I heard from others at that time of problems they were having with their transmissions. The tractor didn't do all that well at auction....maybe due to reputed transmission problems inherent in these models.

Regards,
Bob Ancar
Cambridge, NY

/ John Deere 2010 Bad?? #4  
The only real problem I have heard about the '10 series was that they were somewhat underpowered for the wieght and class. I guess you had to run them a little harder to work out of them. The '10s were the first of the John Deere New Generation Tractors that revolutionized the way John Deere made tractors and what they look like. I have heard that John Deere took what they learned from the '10 buyers and made the appropriate changes in the famous '20 series, especialy the 4020.

As for your use, I would think the 2010 would be fine around a small farm or if needed to mow large tracts of grass or cut some hay. I would also agree that the true measure of a tractor is how it has been treated by its previous owner. I know if I could find a 2010 around where I live, I would sure give it a close look over since it would be ideal for my uses.

I don't own a John Deere, but my Father in Law does. Perform preventative maintenance and the tractor will last you many years.

Jim

/ John Deere 2010 Bad?? #5  
Hi there.
We run John Deeres and Farmall's both. They are both excellent machines. One thing to be warned about though when it comes to gas jobs of older vintage: they were made for leaded fuel. If you run unleaded in them for a long time without adding lead substitute you will probably run into valve problems. With a tractor this old, it is hard telling how it was taken care of. Start it up and run it around for a few minutes. If it has "issues" you will soon know. A valve job is still cheaper than a new tractor.

/ John Deere 2010 Bad?? #6  
I've started looking for a Deere 2010 to use with a finish mower. One thing I've seen twice now is "PTO not working".
I'd guess this might be a weak point (if not it's a strange coincidence).

/ John Deere 2010 Bad?? #7  
YES JD 2010's were not one of JD engineers brightest moments!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Diesel engines were worse than gasoline but the brakes,hyd system & pto SUCKED when they were NEW and have only gotten WORSE since 1965. Old saying about JD 2010's ""you cant't break a good one & you can't repair a bad one"" is VERY TRUE.

/ John Deere 2010 Bad?? #8  
What part of the PTO drive train "isn't working" ? Are the problem 2010's with the double clutch option for live PTO?

/ John Deere 2010 Bad?? #9  
2010's didn't have dual stage clutches for pto similar to the later models. 2010 had a gear type engagement(parts key 22,2nd photo) plus engaging a clutch with a hand controlled lever. Just look at all the moving parts that can wear out and most are probably NLA.

Attachments

• T5280__________UN01JAN94.gif
    T5280__________UN01JAN94.gif
    24.1 KB · Views: 1,505
  • T6431__________UN01JAN94.gif
    T6431__________UN01JAN94.gif
    34.7 KB · Views: 3,042
  • T8455__________UN01JAN94.gif
    T8455__________UN01JAN94.gif
    26.1 KB · Views: 2,707
   / John Deere 2010 Bad?? #10  
I think for the JD 2010s the saying is......"RUN FOREST!, RUN!"