Starter removal

/ Starter removal #1  

Chris_JohnDeere

I have a JD 4100 that is having starter problems. The starter motor spins, but does not engage the flywheel. I have tried tapping it with a hammer, rotated the engine in case there was a missing tooth on the fly wheel, still just spins. So I decided to take it in to have it tested/rebuilt. I have the two bolts removed, but it still feels like it is welded to the engine. I have replaced starters on cars, I assume it looks the same and should just pop out. Before I apply more force, I thought should check whether it is locked in somehow (other than by seven years of grime).

/ Starter removal #2  
Welcome to TBN Chris, ya, the online JD parts catalog only shows 2 bolts also.

This is where a good 'dead blow' hammer comes in.

/ Starter removal
Thanks, a few good thumps did break it loose. Now my issue is that the starter motor is trapped between the engine and the some lines running to the back of the tractor. They are coming out of a box just forward of the starter, looks like a pump. The smaller line goes to something under the seat and the larger line back to the transmission. I suspect these are part of the hydrostatic transmission. How big of a hole am I digging myself if I remove one of those lines?

/ Starter removal #4  
As long as you don't start it with the line removed should be no problem.