790 Workout

/ 790 Workout #1  

foggy1111

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L 3560 HSTC, 805 Loader
So.....I had to give an operating report on my 790....as I had finally put in about 25 hours of seat time in the past week. It was a long wait... buying this tractor in November and then making tractor improvements and buying the needed implements in anticipation of this spring's work. So far I feel as though I made some good choices.

We have been dragging out old down timber and stacking the logs in an old burn area in an effort to clean up an area for our new toy shed (pole barn) to be built. My wife generally drags out the smaller stuff with a 4 Wheeler (kawa 400) after I get it out on the trail for her.....and I drag the bigger stuff....sometimes with a rootball attached. I use the loader to pile the down trees for burning next winter. The loader handles all the weight I feel the tractor is capable of lifting (sometimes 5 or 6 big logs)...and either my tooth bar or bucket forks are helpfull in piling (mostly just use the markham tooth bar). I had added a set of shims to get my pressure up to about 2300 lbs....I dont see a need to have more lift for the timber...and I already can lift a full bucket of sand or dirt....plenty of lift.

Speaking of lift....I have so far done a trial run on my King Kutter box frame disc. The tractor handles it just fine...pulling it anywhere I want to go with the most aggressive setting on the disc blades. I would like more pennetration, so I need to experiment to determine much wieght I can add and still pick up the disc for transport. I hope to throw a big log or two on the frame to weight it down...maybe next time up at my land.

I spent quite a bit of time pulling my King Kutter 5 foot rotary cutter trough the buck brush and weeds in order to clear out some areas for food plots. These are some natural openings in the woods and total about 5 acres. So far I have about 1/2 of the acreage opened up. I was VERY impressed with what the cutter will handle....I have routinely cut some 2 1/2 " stuff....and have run over a few big rocks at times. Still....the cutter seems to work just fine and I have not yet sheared a bolt. (knock on wood)

I have pulled my box blade over trails to smooth out the results of grinding out over 200 stumps in the past few days. The box blade has done well and filled in the holes without complaint. I follow with a trip with my flexiable harrow to smooth things over....and get some pretty nice looking trails from this set up.

I have not yet used my KK tiller....but I keep eyeing it over and will not be able to resist much longer. I also have a KK spreader and a KK Subsoiler which I hope to use pretty soon. It looks as though I have an add going for King Kutter when I look at my machinery all lined up. But the KK stuff seemed to be the best choice for me....and I found some good values over the winter.

The Pat's easy change has worked very nicely, my tool box add-on has proven it's worth and my grill guard has protected the front end through some rough timber.

This little tractor has amazed me with its power for it's size....and it's still nimble enough to snake between trees to get to areas where a bigger machine would not go. With 5 foot implements....I do not lack for power....so far.

One thing I would like is a hydro tranny. This isnt too big of a deal.....and I knew I would feel this way....but when doing allot of loader work a hydro would be nice. Once I get most of my tree work completed.....my loader work will be greatly diminished and the merits of the gear tranny will be realized in my "farming" work. Happy Camper :)

/ 790 Workout #2  
You have me looking around for some more "work":D

/ 790 Workout
You have me looking around for some more "work":D

Yep....lol....we had to come back home for some R & R. We went at it pretty hard for a week or so...pretty tired each nite. Still digging the slivers out of my hands.....but still lots of work to do to stay on track with my plan for this spring. :)

/ 790 Workout #5  
Nice report, foggy. I have a 3005, and also have a KK 5ft. rotary cutter. Last year I ordered a new set of blades for the KK, directly from KK. When they arrived, I thought they looked a bit different from the originals. Same overall size, but just a bit different, and the cutting part of the blades was much sharper than other originals were when they were new.

I've got to tell you, those new blades make my fields look like someone took a finish mower to them. I had sharpened the old blades before, and got a very nice cut, but these new ones are REALLY impressive.

Oh yeah, I'm very pleased with the 3005 so far. It really handles nicely.

/ 790 Workout #6  
I have a 790 with 85 hours now. We had 3 ft of heavy wet snow last Thursday through Saturday and I plowed with my FEL blade, 7 1/2 feet with wings. It worked great, kept my driveway open and much of the rest of the neighborhood. I'm glad your's is working so well for you. I too sometimes would like hydro but when I'm grading or plowing the gears work just fine.

/ 790 Workout
Thanks for the replies Tom and Mech. For me the hard thing was buying all the implements and doing the mod's and improvements to a tractor that I wasn't positive would do the job......sorta a leap of faith for me....and I needed to hit the ground running this spring as I have allot of plans for this land this year. I've been around this machinery and tractors most of my life...but these compacts are a bit new to me and the small size had me worried a bit. NO MORE....this little tractor has allot of guts and continues to impress me with its ability and agility. Probably a good "learner" size too....as too big of tractor and power can get you into bigger trouble....especially in the woods.

If the hydro need ever becomes to much to bear ( ;) ) I likely would buy a similar size tractor (such as a 3038) as this size has proven itself to me.

I had both eyes open when buying a used gear tractor and knew there would be times a hydo would be nice.....I am just trying to keep a reasonable expense for my toys.....as the toy list gets pretty extensive in so many areas. :D

I cant wait to get back "up north" to do some more brush hogging.....it's probably the most fun you can have with your pants on....of course I haven't been tilling yet. ;) :D