Help with a new to me John Deere 750

/ Help with a new to me John Deere 750 #1  

spacemonkey

Hi guys. I just purchased a JD 750 with 4wd. Unfortunately I sent my dad to pick it up and he did not try it out or get a demo. :( It starts and runs great and overall appears to be in excellent shape. However, I have a few questions and maybe one problem. It has a switch on the dash for the 4wd but it does not engage when the switch is flipped. How do I engage the 4wd on this thing. If I just flip the switch, what is the most likely problem as to why it is not coming on???? (It does mak a sound not unlike an airbrake, but much quiter of course, when I flip the switch).

Also there are two levers on the left hand side. The outside yellow lever engages the PTO. What does the red lever do?

Also I am assuming that the green lever which is sort of under the seat is the differential lock. Which position is which and what do I need to do to engage it. I am assuming that I need to be stopped when messing with it.

I am going to order an operator's manual, and a repair manual next week. A parts manual will have to wait a week or two.

Thanks!

/ Help with a new to me John Deere 750
OK. I figured out that the switch is to the other pto not the 4wd.

The gear shift is red, the hi-low is red, I am noticing a pattern here. I bet the red lever is the 4wd, no? But is activated in the up position or the down position??

OK so I have answered two of my own silly questions.

Also I guess that I just step on the diff lock to activate and it releases when I let up?

Believe it or not I have used a tractor quit a before, just not one made in my lifetime:)

Is there anything peculiar to this particular model that I need to watch out for??

/ Help with a new to me John Deere 750 #4  
Yep, that switch is to engage electric PTO for the MMM (mid mount mower) as you found out. Yours either has the MMM, or else probably had one attached to it at some point. Or just maybe it was for the front PTO, cause I think the 750's can also have that option.

I've owned two different 750's, an '81 and an '84, but sold the second one I had about 7 months ago. That '84 model had the 4x4 option, and I can't remember how the lever should be positioned to engage the 4x4. You can tell pretty easy though. Drive it in a real tight turn (wheels locked to one side) on pavement, then flip the lever to the opposite position and repeat. If the drivetrain acts like it's wanting to bind up worse than it did before, then the 4x4 is now engaged. If it seems to drive and steer a bit easier, then you just disengaged the 4x4.

As for the locking differential, as I recall you're only supposed to engage it AFTER a wheel starts spinning, and disengage the lever (for rear wheel lock up) before you stop it (disengage the clutch). It's all in the manual, so read up on it when you get one for it.

I will say those are REALLY nice tractors, I enjoyed both of the 750's that I had. That little 21hp Yanmar diesel is a great little fuel efficient engine. I can't think of anything peculiar about the 750, or stuff to watch out for. I do think that JD recommends you use 4ft implements with it, although I ran a 5ft boxblade and the 4x4 model actually pulled it pretty well. It will run a 5ft bush hog too but you'll need to add some weight on the front end. Otherwise, the front end will get really light when you pick up the mower. I had a 4ft Landpride bush hog and it would still get pretty light whenever I picked it up. If you don't already know the year of make of your 750, you can get the serial number and go to tractordata.com and find out. Good luck with it!

/ Help with a new to me John Deere 750
Thanks guys! I figured out the 4wd. It has already pulled me out of one tough spot.:D I picked up an almost new Bush hog 480 for a song and have been out doing some bush hogging. Even with the 4wd it gets a little light in the front. I am thinking about putting some weights on the front to help out. Where is the best place to pick some up at a decent price?

Also, I have declared about 25% of my property off limits until I get some ROP. What is a fair price from a dealer??

/ Help with a new to me John Deere 750 #6  
I bought a ROPS for the '81 model that I had, since it didn't have one when I bought it. I paid $300 for it from a local JD dealer, but that was quite a few years ago. I didn't care what it cost, I just knew I wanted it and had to have it. JD typically sells them at cost just to get people to install them for safety's sake. I strongly recommend you get one, install it, and use the seatbelts. If I recall correctly, the seatbelts came with it the ROPS I bought. Since yours doesn't have a ROPS, I'm guessing it's an '81, or maybe an '82 model. I believe that '83 was the year they became mandatory for manufacturers to install them.

As for weights, you don't have get/buy JD suitcase weights as others will most likely fit. The '81 I had came with three big IH suitcase weights on the front weight bracket. The '84 I had came with two little JD suitcase weights that are about 40lbs each I think. You can also get creative and adapt some scrap metal or railroad iron to add to the front bracket. For better stability, you might want to consider loading the rear tires too.
Keep checking craigslist, you might come across some weights there too.

/ Help with a new to me John Deere 750 #7  
i have recently bought a john deere 750 garden tractor, how do i determine the manufacture date when the owner was unsure?

/ Help with a new to me John Deere 750 #8  
Write down your serial number located on the nameplate just above (or below, can't remember for sure) the PTO shaft on the rear of the tractor. Then, go to the link below and check your serial number against the list they provided.

TractorData.com John Deere 750 tractor information

That will at least get you the year of manufacture. Good luck with your 750, great little tractors!! Btw, my brother actually lives in Lancaster. Nice town there.