'09 JD 5105M Cab & '05 JD 4720 Cab
554.jpg

:confused:

/ What are those front tires? #2  
Karl2, those are what I call the rice patty tires which is typical in
what you see in a grey market tractor. Weird tires, no ROPS, everything
wrote in foreign language. Still like the colors!:D

/ What are those front tires?
To BIGWES who had replied to the deuce thread and whose post somehow vanished, sorry about that :eek:

You had mentioned rice paddy tires and gray market tractors I believe? I don't think the tractor is fake though, it's featured on JD's official Chinese website but the site is written in Chinese so I don't have a clue what they say about it. Photos on that site show some red old-style tractors (they look like early 70's Ford tractors painted red) that must be sold as a "value" JD line or some other name and not available elsewhere, but they also show a bunch of greens that includes the one above and many more, their top cab models look a lot like the 6000 series and unlike European models they have the same factory cab we have here and those are undoubtedly made by JD. I'm wondering if JD also makes those rice paddy tractors?

Edit: I see your post reappeared here :D

John Deere purchased a Chinese manufacturer of tractors a couple years ago named Ningbo Benye. Here is a link that shows a few of their tractors, most of which are red. One of the tractors looks like the one shown at the top of this thread.

Ningbo Benye Tractor & Automobile Manufacture Co.,Ltd - China Agriculture supplier

It does indeed, only difference except for the color appear to be the headlights which look better on the Ningbo than they do on the Deere branded model. I guess that JD is re-branding a few of those models to increase its corporate visibility in China which is a fast-growing market for machinery.

The 80-HP Ningbo on that site is quite handsome, looks nothing like the others:

3250078.bak.JPG

/ What are those front tires? #6  
Also note that "Grey Market" doesn't mean "Knockoff". Grey market items are legitimately made by the parent company but they are to be sold in other parts of the world. Rather than follow the legitimate import process they're bought overseas and privately imported (often because those models or features aren't available locally - or because the model is sold for less in poor countries). Grey market Deeres are interesting since it's a US company - it's much more common for Asian or European brands to be imported into the US. While not technically illegal in most cases, often the parent company won't support a grey market import (this is a general statement, grey market tractors may be different). Could you imagine the lawsuit potential of a tractor without a ROPS in the US? :eek:

This is pretty common with electronics where many Nikon cameras sold in the US have serial numbers that indicate they were made for the Japanese market. Other than lacking a real warranty and perhaps some minor cosmetics they are identical to US models so some people opt to trade support for savings.

/ What are those front tires? #7  
Hi Karl2 ,

Those are some aggressive tires for sure ...

Definitely not made for the golf course ...

Later,x595

Hi Karl2 ,

Those are some aggressive tires for sure ...

Definitely not made for the golf course ...

I was wondering if they'd be good in deep granular snow. When you drive over that kind of snow with R4's they compact it into ice and skid, even chains are no good on that stuff.

/ What are those front tires? #9  
I was wondering if they'd be good in deep granular snow. When you drive over that kind of snow with R4's they compact it into ice and skid, even chains are no good on that stuff.

I cut and haul out firewood from my neighbors woods in Fall / Winter with
my trailer and at times the trails can be snow covered and / or mud , I think
those tires would be good in deep mud ...

Later,x595

I cut and haul out firewood from my neighbors woods in Fall / Winter with
my trailer and at times the trails can be snow covered and / or mud , I think
those tires would be good in deep mud ...

Later,x595

Looked around the Net and couldn't find a supplier for that type of tire in North America, would help if they had a R code, Googling "Rice paddy tires" leads straight to China, Chinese characters and all :(

I would not use them on my 4720 because I have to do a lot of road travel in winter but I was thinking of purchasing a smaller used tractor for my own property which we would use for mowing in summer (with turf tires) and snow clearing/general chore in winter using "paddy" tires, when snow conditions are unfriendly to the 4720's R4's. I would push snow with the paddy tractor and blow the banks away with the 4720's blower.