Pulling a 10 ft. disc

/ Pulling a 10 ft. disc #11  
Removing 4 blades has to help but the total weight will still be close to the same. This would be a good load for a 3020.

What is the size of the blades and the weight of the disc?

Steve

/ Pulling a 10 ft. disc
Removing 4 blades has to help but the total weight will still be close to the same. This would be a good load for a 3020.

What is the size of the blades and the weight of the disc?

Steve

Not sure on the total weight of the disc, but the blades are 16". The disk is an old J.D. KB wheel disc. Also, wouldn't controlling the depth of the disking via the cylinder help?

/ Pulling a 10 ft. disc #13  
Will be the odd one here who says you will not be able to pull it. At least not at any speed you need to. Both my brother and I both have 9 to 10 foot disk and we pull them with 68 and a 75 hp tractors and a full load on them. We have sandy loam soil also. But on first disking our blades will penetrate much more than the picture shown by Oleozz with NO added weight. Both of our disk are 20 inch blades with two different brands of tractors and disks. On second or third pass we are disking full depth which is about 8 inchs. Again all we want to pull at a speed that a disk needs to run at. We are running with loaded rear wheels, two wheel drives. One orange and one red tractor. Harder ground is easier to pull disk over than softer dirt.

But you can always lift the disk, reduce the angle or remove blades if I am correct. Of course the frist two reduce how well the job is done but may be fine for your needs.

What is the proper speed?

I am going to be discing up some pastures for a seedbed next year. I have a 12' 32-20 hay king that I will be pulling with a John Deere 5525 (75 PTO).

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
D.

/ Pulling a 10 ft. disc #14  
Pics of when I first bought the disc. Tractor without weights and FEL.

D.

Attachments

• DSC_3392_1.jpg
    DSC_3392_1.jpg
    976.6 KB · Views: 2,687
  • DSC_3393.jpg
    DSC_3393.jpg
    699.6 KB · Views: 4,312
   / Pulling a 10 ft. disc #15  
Not sure on the total weight of the disc, but the blades are 16". The disk is an old J.D. KB wheel disc. Also, wouldn't controlling the depth of the disking via the cylinder help?

If you have 16" blades then it is a light duty disk, or disk harrow. You have a chance at pulling it. This would be a finishing disk something I have used after running an offset disk with 20 to 24" blades first.

If you can make several passes across the field you can eventually do some good. You should get results similar to running a tiller 4" deep. If this is for pastures it would help alot.

Ground speed needs to be fast enough to throw the dirt a little which is needed to help level the ground and turn the sod over with the roots exposed.

Initially on hard ground you shouldn't have a problem pulling the disk, but after making a few passes and trying to cut deeper it will be harder to pull. Controlling the depth of the disk with your hydraulics will simply keep you from getting enough depth kind of a catch 22.

IMHO, I would consider using a good tiller with a working depth of 7 to 8" about 6 or 7' wide or a disk of the same width with 20" to 22" blades. My 4520 weighs about the same as a 1530 and with tractors this small and light I think a tiller is a better choice. A tiller enables you to dig down deep enough and pulverize at the same time with a much slower ground speed.

A well cared for 1530 is a nice tractor though and should work well with 6 to 7' implements.

Steve

/ Pulling a 10 ft. disc #16  
What is the proper speed?

I am going to be discing up some pastures for a seedbed next year. I have a 12' 32-20 hay king that I will be pulling with a John Deere 5525 (75 PTO).

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
D.

As to speed you need to be able to roll the dirt over and get it to level. Too slow a speed and you don't tear up the roots or loosen the dirt that well. On my disk you also end up with a very unlevel job. You can run too fast but is not likely. Now if bouncing out of seat and can not make turns you are TOO fast. More than likely the first sign of running too fast is the disk is not sinking into the ground as much and thus cutting as deep as it should.

But a rule of thumb, on 4 speed two ranges trans it seems second gear in high range fits most of the time.

/ Pulling a 10 ft. disc #17  
I have a JD 5203(56hp 47pto hp) and have been using a 6' Tuffline disc that belongs to a friend of mine. I use it to cut fire breaks, so I pull it in very sandy soil that's been previously plowed(one pass and the disk is at the axles). the harrow has 18' blades I think. Anyways, I have to pull it in 4wd ALL the time, not some of the time, ALL of the time. I'm buying my own disc in the next couple of weeks and won't go any bigger then 6' with 20" blades. I'll also be adding two sets of rear wheel weights and about 400lbs up front. this should help with the traction issue I've been having as it will put my tractor around 6,000lbs total. my goal is to have it weighing around 7,000lbs when i add my front end loader and fill the rear tires along with the wheel weights(will take off the front weights when I add the fel). if I was plowing in hard ground or ground that had never been worked, I have no doubts I could go 8' or possibly 10' but that would do me no good as I have t run my disc in ground that gets worked every 3 weeks. even with 56hp and MFWD the tractor knows that disk is behind it. I would suggest 6' or a tiller as others have said.

/ Pulling a 10 ft. disc #18  
Here is a small 18 footer that I normally pull behind my Kioti 45:)
I think, as most responders have mentioned, soil conditions are critical for matching disc size to hp.
490IHdisc.jpg

/ Pulling a 10 ft. disc
Well, the verdict is in and a j.d. 1530 45 hp tractor will pull a 10 ft. disc in 5th gear with relative ease. Not too bad. Thanks for the input.

/ Pulling a 10 ft. disc #20  
Here is a small 18 footer that I normally pull behind my Kioti 45:)
I think, as most responders have mentioned, soil conditions are critical for matching disc size to hp.
490IHdisc.jpg

I'll bet you do... (always with the wheels down!!) :) On your way to the big tractor - so you can hook it up!

I used to pull a 12' disc behind a JD 730 diesel (2 lunger). It was a small (finish) disc as jenkinsph would say.. 14" blades. Not a problem.

AKfish