Pulling a 10 ft. disc

/ Pulling a 10 ft. disc #1  

Huntermax-4

My question is, I have a J.D. 1530 tractor that is 45 hp. Will this pull a 10 ft. double gang disc through sandy loam soil? The terrain is flat. Thanks.

/ Pulling a 10 ft. disc #2  
Will not be a problem. I pulled a 10 footer with a lot of weight on top with my 45 hp tractor and had smooth sailing.:) (Sorry about the orange color on the tractor!!)

Discingwith45-1.jpg

/ Pulling a 10 ft. disc #3  
It will pull it. There are some variables.... The more you angle it and burry it, the harder it will pull. Also, if its so sandy that you cannot get traction, it will have a hard time with much angle at all.

Are the rears loaded?

/ Pulling a 10 ft. disc #4  
i have a 4510 jd and i was wondering the same thing. my rear are not loaded yet.and mine mfd

/ Pulling a 10 ft. disc
It will pull it. There are some variables.... The more you angle it and burry it, the harder it will pull. Also, if its so sandy that you cannot get traction, it will have a hard time with much angle at all.

Are the rears loaded?

It is a light to medium sandy loam. The rears are not loaded yet, but that is on the list. I used to pull it with a J.D. model 70 which is about the same hp, but the 70 had a lot longer power stroke. The 70 handled it no problem.

/ Pulling a 10 ft. disc
Will not be a problem. I pulled a 10 footer with a lot of weight on top with my 45 hp tractor and had smooth sailing.:) (Sorry about the orange color on the tractor!!)

Discingwith45-1.jpg

Is all that weight on the disc necessary?

/ Pulling a 10 ft. disc #7  
Will be the odd one here who says you will not be able to pull it. At least not at any speed you need to. Both my brother and I both have 9 to 10 foot disk and we pull them with 68 and a 75 hp tractors and a full load on them. We have sandy loam soil also. But on first disking our blades will penetrate much more than the picture shown by Oleozz with NO added weight. Both of our disk are 20 inch blades with two different brands of tractors and disks. On second or third pass we are disking full depth which is about 8 inchs. Again all we want to pull at a speed that a disk needs to run at. We are running with loaded rear wheels, two wheel drives. One orange and one red tractor. Harder ground is easier to pull disk over than softer dirt.

But you can always lift the disk, reduce the angle or remove blades if I am correct. Of course the frist two reduce how well the job is done but may be fine for your needs.

/ Pulling a 10 ft. disc #8  
It is a light to medium sandy loam. The rears are not loaded yet, but that is on the list. I used to pull it with a J.D. model 70 which is about the same hp, but the 70 had a lot longer power stroke. The 70 handled it no problem.

If your 70 handled it no problem, then your other tractor should be able to do it. Might not do it as well if you think the 70 is more powerful.... Try it first and see. I would not load your tires until you know you need to.

/ Pulling a 10 ft. disc #9  
With a 1530 you would need to pull the disk in 4th gear to have a good ground speed. I don't think 40 hp drawbar is enough to do it right.
You would need filled tires to have a shot at it at any rate, and once you had enough set and passes to sink to the hubs or spools it would be too much for the tractor to handle. Bear in mind that a 70 weighs about a ton more than the 1530, the 70 can pull the disk but not fast enough with proper set.

I would think a 6' tiller would be a much better choice for the 1530. A disk and tiller cost about the same but the lighter weight with less strain on the engine and drivetrain is a real plus. While the tiller has a low travel speed the number of trips across the field are minimal compared to a disk.

Disks are great if you have larger blades, enough set and the power to pull them fast enough.

Steve

/ Pulling a 10 ft. disc
I already have the disc, and I am suppose to buying the 1530 on Sat. If I took the 1 blade off of each of the four gangs do you think that would make enough of a difference?