jd 4110 won't start

/ jd 4110 won't start #1  

vaj

Tractor
JD 310d, JD 4110
Had an incident I'll mention in the safety board but now have a tractor that will not start.

Tractor rolled down hill, over some rough terrain, in neutral, and came to a stop with engine off, key I believe was still on - I was just glad operator OK. It did not go over any drops, just hilly undulations for only 50 yds or so.

When key is turned now to 1st position, hear a quiet buzzing as dash lights come on. Turn key more to attempt to start, and lights out, no starter action.

headlights don't work, flashers don't work with light switch. Flashers work with turn signal.

Seems like a bad battery but battery has been fine.

I figure more likely a start prevent safety switch won't engage back to normal?

Any ideas will be much appreciated.

Tim

/ jd 4110 won't start #2  
A safety switch would not keep the headlights from working...

Was the tractor running when it got away? I was not sure from your post...

The three main safety switches to check are on the PTO, the seat, and the range selector. Have you checked the fuses?

/ jd 4110 won't start #3  
Sounds like the battery maybe got a bashing! Or the cable may have jerked loose in the tumbling.

I'd put a good battery in the tractor and give it a try. If you still have the same symptoms - start with the troubleshooting - per kennyd.

Good luck.

AKfish

/ jd 4110 won't start #4  
I assume it was running at the time and quit prior to stop. A diesel doesn't need the battery once it is running so a battery cable loose on the post would not be the problem. I would check the linkages to see if a stick or bent metal came in contact with the safety lockout. If nothing there one could by pass the starter leaving the key on with a ground and a positive on the starter selonoid.
I would bet my money on the lockouts including the seat switch. Let us know what you find, and good luck !

/ jd 4110 won't start #5  
A diesel doesn't need the battery once it is running so a battery cable loose on the post would not be the problem.

And what about the fuel selenoid cut-off? That's how your diesel tractor shuts-off... Cut power to the selenoid and no fuel.

If the tractor was bouncing and jouncing down the hill; even if the power loss from a cable pulling loose and re-energizing was intermittent - the engine would quit.

AKfish

/ jd 4110 won't start
I had checked the fuses, only found 4 and not sure if there are more.

When I went to it today to jump, the battery was totally dead.

Apparently the battery did take a bashing as AKfish thought.

I jump started it and it started right up - but it will not take a charge.

I will replace it and am fortunate to get out of this mess pretty much unscathed.

Thanks for all your input

Tim