2320 50HR service stumper

/ 2320 50HR service stumper #1  

gonegreen

Bronze Member
Tractor
'08 John Deere 2320
Hello everyone! Long time listener (about a year and 1/2), first time caller:D. I purchased a 2320 JD last year and have accumutated 50 hours of seat time.

Yesterday I stopped at a dealer and told them I wanted to purchase whatever was needed for the 50 hr service on my 2320 tractor. One guy behind the counter said "He needs engine oil and a filter". I asked the other fellow, what about the Hydro? He said that all the models are different and would check the one on the show room floor. :confused: After a couple minutes I went over to see what the hold up was. He said "you don't need anything today, come back at 200hrs". :D He showed me the chart under the hood and I couldn't believe it:eek:.

I told him that while I didn't memorize my chart or owners manual, I would bet that my tractor required more than - fill'er up with deisel and check the tires. He said that he had a used '08 JD2320 in the back - let's take a walk. After further review, this tractor's chart showed everything being changed at 50 hours (including the operator - the tractor had 49.7 hrs on it):confused:.

"What's up with that, why would these be different, I said? He didn't know. I should also mention that when I asked about break-in oil, he said that he didn't think that they still used it and asked me if my oil looked redish:confused:??

Was there a major change that I missed reading about - engine, special oil, etc?

Sooo.....if there's anyone that can find out, I would be interested. I know what everyone's thinking "I don't care how long the chart says - I'm changing mine at 50". And I agree, I just want to know if the chart is a typo or did they really change it:eek:.

Thanks
Gonegreen (as opposed to orange or red):)

/ 2320 50HR service stumper #2  
Well! I purchased my 2320 last year also and now have approximately 70 hours on it. Went to the dealer, as you did and said I need all the stuff for the 50 hour service. They gave me an oil filter for the engine and the required motor oil. I asked, what about the Hydro oil and filter. They said, no need as it is way too early. I said, what about what the manual states. Dealer said they never change the Hydro oil and filter at the 50 hour service and if I did I would be the first guy on the planet to do so. For what it is worth, I purchased a new JD 650 TLB from this same guy (owner) in 1988, he has been a dealer forever. I paid for the engine oil and filter and said have a great day.

/ 2320 50HR service stumper #3  
I would recommend at least changing/cleaning the hydro filters. With any new item there are all sorts of filings and burrs that are a part of the manufacturing process and my filters definitely could use a cleaning. If nothing else, you should notice that the filter buildup in the first 50 hours is probably going to be more than in the next 200, if your next filter check still shows a lot of metal you may be in trouble.

The hydraulic fluid is break-in fluid (it's dyed red so you know if it's been changed) and I changed that as well. About the only thing the dealer recommended I didn't change was the coolant - it still looks new and apparently in MA it's a pain to get rid of for some reason (I'm guessing hydro fluid and oil are as well, but they're a necessary evil and the coolant can't be mixed in).

/ 2320 50HR service stumper #4  
hello i also have a jd2320 purchased last year getting ready for 50hr service dont think i will change hydro,only question is if i clean the screen and filter wount the fluid pore out anyway? mostly the screan its lower.

/ 2320 50HR service stumper #5  
If any of you live in a nothern us climate, I would recomend you change out your hydro fluid and use the low vis stuff from JD. You will be doing your tractor a favor in the long run, especially if you use your tractor to move snow.

50 hours on hydro fluid in nothing, but the flush does help to rid any contamination from the assembly line and break in of the unit.

/ 2320 50HR service stumper #6  
Don't they come from the factory with low vis?

/ 2320 50HR service stumper #7  
Don't they come from the factory with low vis?

No, it comes standard with regular Hygard. I think the only instance where the manufacturer will put LV Hygard in is if they know that the machine is going to a strictly northern area.

/ 2320 50HR service stumper #8  
Gonegreen
Welcome to the forum!

I think JD deleted the requirement to change out the transmission fluid at 50 hrs sometime in early 08. Mine (bought Mar of 07) required change out at 50 hrs and there were a lot of castings in the fluid, For that matter, I just changed the fluid at 200 hrs 2 months ago and there were some more (but a lot fewer) castings. Tractor is still as strong as ever though.

Erring on the side of caution never hurts as far as maintenance is concerned. hurts. I recommend going and swapping out the fluid and transmission filters.

Enjoy your tractor:D

/ 2320 50HR service stumper #9  
I changed motor oil/filter...hydro oil/filter....front end...at about 25 hours. I again changed motor oil and filter at about 75 hours.

But thats just me,got a kioti.

Do you need to,probably not,but its good to eliminate as many future problems as you can,and by getting the old stuff out and new stuff in,is one easy way to do this.

Many times the the hydro oil will have been contaminated with water,after it setting outside for a year or more waiting to be sold,plus if you got hst,you don't want metal shavings in there left over from milling when parts were made.

When my tractor breaks down[they all break,even kiotis] want to make sure that I've done all the things that I could to help prevent it,than when it breaks,it ain't my fault, but thats just me.

And you know when most things break,its after warrenty is up.

/ 2320 50HR service stumper #10  
The extent of the servicing required after X number of hours often depends on the period of time over which these hours were accumulated. For example if one takes two years to accumulate 50 hours their tractor will require more 50-hour servicing than one who does 50 hours every two weeks.