round baler question

/ round baler question #1  

docjupa24

Tractor
2005 3520
my uncle is wanting to purchase a 4520 and is concerned with how big of round baler he can use. any help would be appreciated. he just wants to know if he can run a round baler and if so how big of baler can be used......thanks

/ round baler question #2  
my uncle is wanting to purchase a 4520 and is concerned with how big of round baler he can use. any help would be appreciated. he just wants to know if he can run a round baler and if so how big of baler can be used......thanks

Just look at the PTO levels and that will answer the power question. You will not be able to run a large round baler. How big a baler is he wanting to run?

I have a JD 467 and I run it with a 5525 (75hp PTO). If I don't keep the grills and radiator clean - it will start running warm.

Another thing is how much it weighs. Baler with a full bale will probably weigh more than a 4520. The baler might be driving the tractor...

Look at the HP and the weight aspects.

Good luck,
D.

/ round baler question #3  
the 4520 will not run a round baler according to deere's specs. it would probably suck the tractor dry trying to pull the baler, turn belts and pickup, and drag a close to finished bale around.

a 458 standard with standard pickup requires minimum 55 pto hp. the 4520 hydro is 50 pto hp and the gear is 52hp. you should tell your uncle to look at the 5075e at minimum. took the place of the 5x03 models.

/ round baler question #4  
the 4520 will not run a round baler according to deere's specs. it would probably suck the tractor dry trying to pull the baler, turn belts and pickup, and drag a close to finished bale around.

a 458 standard with standard pickup requires minimum 55 pto hp. the 4520 hydro is 50 pto hp and the gear is 52hp. you should tell your uncle to look at the 5075e at minimum. took the place of the 5x03 models.

It totally depends on the baler. It might not run a JD baler, but some of the smaller other manufacturers I bet it will drive no problem.

D.

/ round baler question #5  
Look at the power requirements for 4x4 balers. Most manufacturer's low-end balers should be within the 4520's capabilities.

/ round baler question #6  
Like Darin said, pay attention to the weight. If your hay fields are hilly (being in WV I would be surprised if they weren't) you need to be concerned with the baler pushing the tractor down hill in an uncontrollable fashion. Seriously consider a 5000 series with MFWD. MFWD, bigger tires, higher ballast capacity and a little more HP and engine CID are all helpful when hillside farming. I am not saying it can not be done without these things, but it does give you more safety margin. Otherwise, buy the hay and use the 4520 to handle it when delivered.