Is PTO grinding normal?

/ Is PTO grinding normal? #1  

allamericanron

I have a 2006 John Deere 790 that I bought with only 40 hours on it. When trying to engage the PTO it grinds before it finally slips into gear. Is this normal. Previous owner said it has been doing this since he bought it.

/ Is PTO grinding normal? #2  
Grinding isn't normal, wonder why the original owner did not get this fixed under warranty? If this is a live pto I would shut down the motor to put it in and out of gear until you can get it fixed. May need clutch adjusted but I hope the prior owner did not grind the gears much.:eek:

Steve

/ Is PTO grinding normal? #3  
If you try to slap it into PTO too quick, it'll grind.

Don't be in a such a hurry, give it 5-10 seconds and then slip it in.

Got that clutch pedal floored right ?

/ Is PTO grinding normal? #6  
I have a 1988 model 950 with the two stage clutch. I engage my PTO at about 1000ish RPM. If I don't hold the clutch in for around 10 to 15 seconds before I start to shift the PTO into gear, it will grind. A grind that slows continually until it slips into gear without the implement shaft moving.

My opinion is to push in the clutch and just wait a bit longer until you start to shift and see if it gets better. If not, then a clutch adjusting may be in order.

/ Is PTO grinding normal? #7  
If you push the clutch all the way down does your impliment stop moving? As mentioned above it sounds like the "PTO" clutch is out of adjustment. You should feel the dual stage clutch on the pedal when you press down part way the drive portion will stop then you push further and should feel the pedal get harder to push in, this is the PTO disengagment. Have someone watch the rear pto shaft when you engage and disengage clutch, it should stop completely shortly after clutch pedal is pushed all the way in. If not it needs adjusting, which is not terrible to do but you may want to take it in and let the dealer do if for you. They should also adjust your pedal free play at the same time. Good luck....

/ Is PTO grinding normal? #8  
The PTO on my 790 does very little grinding, matter of fact it engages PTO pretty easily and smoothly without much noise at all. That's with the engine at idle speed. I try not to engage PTO with rpm's above 1200 or thereabouts. There is a large "separation" with the clutch action on my 790. What I mean is that once the PTO lever is engaged, the PTO will spin up after just barely easing up on the clutch. The transmission engages at about the top of the clutch travel. In other words, the PTO is almost at the bottom, the tranny is almost at the top of clutch travel. That may give you some comparison to go by. Hope you get yours figured out and it's something simple like clutch adjustment.

/ Is PTO grinding normal? #9  
Along these same lines.....I have read that the clutch life on the 790 is not very good....most often needing replacement at about 500 to 600 hours. I have no way to know whether what I read was fact or fiction.....or was from an operator that "rode the clutch". :confused:

I am concerned about the expense of clutch replacement and having to split the tractor and otherwise deal with it during the busy season, etc. Does anyone "know" what the life expectancy (hours) on the 790 clutch should be if you are a good operator? Maybe I could "schedule" it into the winter.....in two years or so.

OH....and I also think the above clutch needs adjustment....if it already hasn't been done.